NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UK Astro Buy & Sell

Jimtheslim

Currently waiting for an ABS reply to a message I sent 2 hours, ago,  I do hope the seller gets back to me as until I hear from him/her I have no idea if the item is still for sale going on past experience. 

Still waiting, very annoying.

"Difficult to reply, been on vacation for 5 days.

Should not put things up for sale if you're going away, or at least state that in the ad.

Carole 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/15/2016 at 14:05, carastro said:

Currently waiting for an ABS reply to a message I sent 2 hours, ago,  I do hope the seller gets back to me as until I hear from him/her I have no idea if the item is still for sale going on past experience. 

Carole 

you've waited  two hrs on a Saturday afternoon and not got a response? anyone would think the seller had a life :D

you've waited  two hrs on a Saturday afternoon and not got a response? anyone would think the seller had a life :D

Been waiting 1 1/2 days now.  Most people wanting to sell stuff reply fairly quickly, after all many people have smartphones now.  If they don't reply quickly, I have found it's mostly because they no longer have the item for sale and can't be both to either remove the ad from the Website, or reply.

I have written this one off.

Carole 

I have asked advertisers about items a number of times and no reply of any sort and not just one person either.
Like it as a way of access to used kit, like I like the classifieds here as well.

I have bought items here and via AB&S with sucess, so I think its just one of those things.
If you make contact and agree a deal, great: If not OK, not worries, move on.

I've bought and sold dozens of times from UK Astro Buy & Sell. It's been an excellent and invaluable resource to me :icon_biggrin:

When selling I always try and respond quickly even if the item is pending or sold. I always thank folks for their interest even if they will not be the purchasor.

Most of the folks I've bought from respond in a similar manner but I do make allowances for the fact that working life intervenes for many and therefore early morning or evening comminications are their only option.

Even though I've retired now, I do have a life outside astronomy and don't have a smartphone - my mobile is very "dumb" I'm afraid :embarrassed:

Sometimes the comms system used by the website does not quite work out so on occasions I have sent a 2nd e.mail of enquiry just in case.

Oh dear, looks like I've opened up a bit of a can of worms here! It wasn't my intention to get people squabbling (although it can sometimes be amusing). Just wondering if there was some kind of protocol for the site I was missing

3 minutes ago, Jimtheslim said:

Oh dear, looks like I've opened up a bit of a can of worms here! It wasn't my intention to get people squabbling (although it can sometimes be amusing). Just wondering if there was some kind of protocol for the site I was missing

I think the operator of the website takes the line that they provide the facility but won't get involved in any of the transactions that take place. Similar to the basis that our classifieds run under.

With regard to protocols, with the astro community in the UK being a fairly "small world" from my experience, sellers or buyers who are unresponsive / awkward will soon find that interest in dealing with them dries up I think.

15 minutes ago, John said:

I think the operator of the website takes the line that they provide the facility but won't get involved in any of the transactions that take place. Similar to the basis that our classifieds run under.

With regard to protocols, with the astro community in the UK being a fairly "small world" from my experience, sellers or buyers who are unresponsive / awkward will soon find that interest in dealing with them dries up I think.

It was more the fact that you enquire using your email but have to register for a prfile, so wasn't sure if replies went to your UKABS profile or returned to your email.

You normally recieve an automated message from ABS if you have replied to the ABS e-mail address instead of the sellers / buyers email address that was included within the initial contact message from ABS.

16 hours ago, estwing said:

dont ever wait for a reply off OO....you'd starve...

Found this out waiting for my Televue 2.5x Powermate that I ordered up beginning of August. Only got emails back from them when I chased them up, and eventually threatened to cancel my order. 

I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect answers immediately. The problem sometimes is that you put an ad for sale and then go away or whatever and I'd not want to advertise my being away on an open forum. That said, I and probably all of us know how impatient we get when an item we've been chasing for ages to buy comes up and there's an agonising wait for the reply! Personally, I always reply too even if it' to say 'you must be having a laugh' and always give first refusal (and a deadline) to the first person expressing interest.

I haven't felt the need to put anything on AB&S yet.  I do browse it from time to time though to see if there's anything interesting.   I've sold a variety of stuff recently on SGL though and have had great experiences so far with all purchasers.  I like the idea of selling/purchasing within this community it seems to work very well.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived