NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scopes for Planetary Imaging

Gina

I'm thinking of trying planetary imaging in the future particularly Jupiter and Saturn.  I have a suitable camera (or two) with an ASI1600MM-cool and an ASI185MC.  Much the same pixel size but one is colour so resolution sacrificed for colour.  I have an MN190 Mak-Newt with 1000mm focal length and 190mm mirror so f5.3.  I could use this with a Barlow.  As an alternative I'm wondering if some other scope would be better.

I would stay on the mak-newton, or at least try it before thinking of buying anything else.

Experiment a bit on the moon: it's always there :) (well, pretty much... weather might be a problem).

You might need a barlow, just be careful to not under/over sample, a mistake I did a lot in the past: your telescope resolution power is roughtly 0.63 arcseconds.

With your camera pixel size, you get 0.78. You should reach a resolution power lower than a half of your telescope, so a 3x barlow would probably be the best choice. 2x will get you a little undersampling, while a 5x will defintely oversample.

Thanks for the replies :)  Sorry for not acknowledging them before but the thread was moved and I've only just found it.

I have 2x and 3x Barlows so that's alright.  Yes, I know Jupiter and Saturn will be pretty low over the next few years and I'm not saying I will definitely be trying to image these any time soon - just thinking of possibilities :D

4 hours ago, nucdoc said:

This is my best shot of jupiter using ZWO 120 mono with LRGB and 60 second exposures

I have not yet mastered winjupos

f/15 , Q7

http://astrob.in/full/242616/0/

image.jpeg

Sorry, meant to put this in your post about using RGB imaging for planets, but was working off my iPhone and posted it to the wrong thread.  I find that after 90 seconds it is hard to keep the details from blurring if you are shooting all 4 LRBG, so I stick with only 60 seconds for each

Hi Gina a good rule is to aim for f/ of around 5x your pixel size. So with the ASI 185 you need to be near f/ 20. Your 3x gets close. For example with my ASI 174 I use my SCT at f/ 25 or my Lunt 60 at f/ 20. As pointed out the best targets are moving away from ideal positions so the ADC I mentioned in another post may help.

Archived