DSO - M13,M52

Date - 15/08/16

Time - 00:30-01:30

Lunar Phase - Waning Gibbious 79% Luminosity

Seeing - Excellent

Equipment - Celestron Nexstar 6SE, No filters used

Eyepieces - Pentax SMC 8-24 Zoom Eyepiece. M13-17.5mm, 
M52-24mm.

Additional info - What a beautiful night of observing, I purposely chose 2 targets furthest away from the moon and found they offered some really good detail especially M13.
The longer I observed the more stars and structure it yielded, I honestly could have spent another hour adding to it but felt with the moon being so bright I wasn't going to get much more.
M52 was another object enough away from the moon to show some lovely detail and I was impressed with how many stars I could observe and how many levels of brightness and detail in the stars I could discern, it really was a challenge but I loved every minute ?
I hope you enjoyed viewing my sketches as much as I enjoyed sketching them ☺️

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

1 hour ago, DRT said:

Nice sketches, Richard. Glad to hear you got to use the Pentax :smile:

Honestly Derek it was awesome everything was just so much easier observe and the detail even with a moon in the sky incredible.

I did think I wouldn't be able to achieve enough detail to get a decent enough sketch but I'm happy with the end result ☺️

Thanks again Derek ?

Richard

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Lovely sketches Richard. You can't beat M13 amazing object. Any sign of the propeller? Probably need a bit more aperture and a darker sky for that perhaps?

cheers stu,

M13 was the first dso i observed, so it seemed only fitting it should be he first I observe with my first high end EP ☺️

The propeller, that's a new one for me stu I couldn't see anything like that?

Richard

5 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Lovely sketches again Richard and it sounds like that zoom EP is a delight to use. I really enjoy looking at your sketches. Thank you :)

Cheers Vicky,

I did expect it to take some time to get used to it but it seemed so natural to use and so easy.

I love sketching them to be honest, it really makes me take in every detail when observing and enjoy every moment ☺️

Richard

2 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

Richard

Some info for you...

I only heard of this at the weekend and am looking forward to trying to see it when I get the chance.

3 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

cheers stu,

M13 was the first dso i observed, so it seemed only fitting it should be he first I observe with my first high end EP ☺️

Richard

Here's a link to the propeller.

https://rogerivester.com/2012/06/23/m13-and-the-illusive-propeller/

C6 might be just a tad too small aperture, but above all because you were not on dark site (no Moon). I had no difficulty in seeing it under NELM 6.0 or darker sky, when zooming around 200x with C8.

2 minutes ago, YKSE said:

Here's a link to the propeller.

https://rogerivester.com/2012/06/23/m13-and-the-illusive-propeller/

C6 might be just a tad too small aperture, but above all because you were not on dark site (no Moon). I had no difficulty in seeing it under NELM 6.0 or darker sky, when zooming around 200x with C8.

Thanks Yong :)

I can't recall if I've seen it in the 4", it is possible. Otherwise it would have been in the 8" SCT or bigger scopes at dark sites. Nice when you see it :) 

Hi everyone,

Personally M13 doesn't have the same shape as other globs I've observed because of the stars and the way there positioned.

I do think to fully appreciate this effect I would need a dark site.

Bigger aperture maybe I'm sure I will find out one day ☺️

Richard

Archived