Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2016 at 00:03, riklaunim said:

It's better to have a PPA with applications (if needed at all) instead of making a "distro" with few preinstalled apps ;)

Yes, of course. But similar distributive is a very good for newbies.

So, you can download my new version  ubuntu_astronomy_16.04_040816_64bit.iso of Ubuntu Astronomy 16.04.

Hmm... But you can do it about 23h-24h (BST).

This version contains more INDI drivers and three new software:

1. Coriander - "Coriander is the Linux graphical user interface (GUI) for controlling a Digital Camera through the IEEE1394 bus (aka FireWire, or iLink). Coriander is full featured and besides changing the parameters of the camera it will also let you record video, send images to an FTP site, convert the video to a V4L stream,...".

2. THELI GUI - "THELI is a powerful and easy-to-use package for astronomical image reduction, offering e.g."

3. Munipack - "Munipack is a free open source tool for processing of astronomical images."

ua_04082106.jpg

5 hours ago, Gina said:

The advantage of a distro with astro apps preinstalled is that stuff works straight off - no problems with dependencies.

The same thing is with PPA - if you do it correctly there are no problems with dependencies, the packages are for correct version and work.

Existing Linux users won't gladly re-install a Linux distribution just because few packages are preinstalled. New to Linux will struggle with the state of astro-hardware support on Linux ;). Also note that custom third-person Linux distributions can't be trusted as much as official signed releases. You don't know what software have been added - there can be malicious software - added by a distro creator or by a package that someone suggested that should be added ;)

2 hours ago, riklaunim said:

Also note that custom third-person Linux distributions can't be trusted as much as official signed releases. You don't know what software have been added - there can be malicious software

Good point, on the other hand I imagine a small, ready distribution like this would be used by non-Linux folks who quickly want to do some imaging on their laptop for which they don't have/want a Windows license. They wouldn't be using it for anything else, so no opportunity for serious harm.

Everyday Linux users (like me) will just grab the tools from official repos of their Linux distribution or compile them by ourselves.

1 hour ago, GreatAttractor said:

Good point, on the other hand I imagine a small, ready distribution like this would be used by non-Linux folks who quickly want to do some imaging on their laptop for which they don't have/want a Windows license. They wouldn't be using it for anything else, so no opportunity for serious harm.

Everyday Linux users (like me) will just grab the tools from official repos of their Linux distribution or compile them by ourselves.

Yes, this distribution is designed for non-Linux folks and for newbies.

Also, it is a BETA version for testers and so on.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 15:07, jdmgray said:

Curious to know if Ubuntu Astronomy still gets support and if anyone has installed the operating system permanently on their laptop either running alongside another os or as the primary os?

Ubuntu Astronomy 16.04 is my open project and primary OS.

Now, it has about 2500 downloads from all world.

• 4 months later...

Archived