Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron NexImage 5 under EKOS/INDI

Some time ago I picked up a Celestron NexImage 5 which is basically a colour 5MP webcam. At the time there was no INDI driver and so after a bit of playing around with the Windows software the camera was stowed away until later.

Today I discovered that an INDI driver is available so fired it up under Kstars/EKOS and took some images, with mixed results. First, the image size is reduced to about 4MP. Second, only 8-bit images are recorded, despite the camera having a 12-bit ADC. Third, it appears that only the green channel is recorded when in RGB mode with FITS output, even though the FITS file contains three image HDUs.

Is this the best I can expect, or are there some configuration settings I have not yet discovered?

My thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this issue.

Paul

Edited by Xilman
fix speeling misteak

2 hours ago, Xilman said:

are there some configuration settings I have not yet discovered?

They are all accesible in the Indi Control Panel, but I guess you are familiar with that if you have used this software before. When it comes to odd equipment, I sometimes spend a little time searching for clues regarding chipsets and such. (sudo) lsusb and dmesg are two terminal commands that can help. Then it's google.

PS: It don't hurt to present the camera with another driver. These things are not written in stone. One thing is the outside, the inside can hide parts and electronics used by other manufacturers. If it works at all with another driver, try to tweak it. Things to do on a cloudy night.

Edited by Rallemikken
  • Thanks 1