hello from toledo ohio

tripod tipper

I just found this site and beginning to learn how to navigate.

Just recently retired and thought I would restart my interest in astronomy. It's been over 30 years since I was involved and now have the freedom to pursue it again. I just bought a Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ refractor and a single axis drive to go with it. Slowly remembering the basics.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I, too, got stuck into the hobby when I retired. And I'm loving it. So much to learn; so much to see; so much to get frustrated about, and so much to be grateful for.

Have fun.

Hey everyone, thanks for the worm welcome. I am looking foreword to learning from others. My retirement came from a disability. Now with too much time on my hands I figure it's time to smell the roses and at least enjoy the personal joys in life. No longer needing to awake at 3:00 in the morning, I now can stay up till then. As I grow in experience with amateur astronomy, I might be able to help out others in time. I will make this community a learning platform since the technology has changed from 30 years ago. 

Thank you, Star Forming

Wow! nice computerized scope ( I think it's computerized ). As I said I have a Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ with a single axis drive (good starter). I'm going to get the most of this scope till I get better. I will study the Astrophotography possibilities with the equipment after I get more familiar with the scope. I build on it when I get better so, I will look into the forum for photography and read and submit inquiries on the proper threads, directing me to the proper topic would be appreciated.

Your telescope looks awesome. I believe its pretty much the perfect magnification for splitting binary stars, which are in my opinion one of the most satisfying aspects of visual astronomy. Have fun!

Oh by the way, I'd recommend a 6mm eyepiece. (you probably already knew that)

Nebula,

Thanks and I just requested for eyepieces on another topic and bought a combo set with a 6mm as well as a 25mm, 15mm 9mm and 5.5mm with a Barlow 2X and five filters, all multi coated and blackened rims. No I don't remember the preferred eyepiece combo's, but I am slowly remembering the options and thank you very much for the suggestions, they are very much appreciated, feel free to give advice at any time.

Please let me be accurate on the eyepieces I ordered.

I ordered from Celectron the #'s 25, 15, and 9. I also ordered from another source I forget the company name, the #'s 5.5 and 6 and the 2X barlow. I also purchased from Orian, filters, #'s 15 deep yellow, 25 red, 58 green 80 moon filter and an Oxygen-III nebula filter all in the 1.25 size. I went over the practical cost I tried to hold myself to, (shame, shame). Oh well I don't think I'll be buying anymore for a while.

Archived