NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Optics VX12 1/10pv

Oh dear, i feel i have jinxed the due date, i really dont see why companies say you will get the product around a certain time then fall way behind on the date, the last place i worked were terrible for this customer would order a horsebox and it would always end up being 3 months late

glad you had a good holiday Derek

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DRT said:

The sky was unbelievable! I was in the mountains 70 miles east of Porto on a vineyard in the middle of the Douro valley. The Milky Way was clearly visible and it was so dark with so many stars that I had real difficulty identifying constellations. M13 was visible to the naked eye. The only problem? I took no equipment with me :cry:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your hols but Tut Tut Derek!! No excuse for not taking at least a pair of 15x70's. Thankfully you had the trusty wide field MKI's to hand :) 

How strange, i try to reply and it brings a whole lot of text from one of my other posts

Glad to hear its due to be picked up and not to late, all the very best for a positive first light

1 minute ago, spaceboy said:

Looking forward to a full unboxing review Derek :)

From what they have told me it will be un-bubble-wrapping rather than unboxing :lol:

Pictures will be posted here tomorrow :wink:

Hi Derek,

I brought a very nice second had OO VX10 L (1/10) from a chap in London last year.

I ordered the Dob mount from OO soon after, but had to wait around 3 months for it if memory serves me correctly.

I'm pleased so far ! One or two niggles, as with all dobs.

I've done a few mods : new focuser, Telrad, flocked the tube, cleaned the mirror.

You may want to plan a fan upgrade. The OO one looks a bit of an after thought. Cool down and thermal management are big problems for me.

And if anyone had any thoughts on this, and have fitted fans to their own OO scope, i'd be very interested.

My other problem is balance issues using heavy eyepieces / binoviewers.

I have a few weights on a spare OO tube ring which i can raise or lower as req.

But this tends to pull the entire tube downwards till it fouls the base of the Dob mount.

Magnetic weights are no good, remember its an aluminium tube.

The Dob mount is actually pretty good i think, even though its a little on the crude side.

I'm sure you'll be thrilled with your new scope Derek. Let us know how you get on.

6 minutes ago, faulksy said:

nice one derek, well happy for you. told me i might have mine in 10 days ,that was 3 days ago, so only 7 sleeps left

You've got that wrong mate. 10 OODays minus 3 Days equals 12 OODays :wink:

This is a keenly awaited unveiling!

The dob bases may be simple but, with a bit of fettling, they work really well.

With memories your port binge holiday, fading fast. This new scope should perk you up a treat!

Looking forward to seeing it in action at SGLXII.

Paul

Here it is...

IMG_4426.jpg

Orion Optics VX12 with Altair Astro 80mm Maxi-Finder, TV Paracorr 2 and Ethos 21mm

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

This is a beautiful little beast and is mostly very well made from what appear to be good quality components. The focuser looks to be an excellent piece of kit. I think maintaining balance will be challenging when switching EPs so some sort of solution to that needs to be found. My only grumble is in relation to the rings. The tension screws are fiddly and difficult to fully tighten and the thick felt linings do not produce sufficient friction to hold the OTA tightly. I'm sure I will find a solution to this too but at this price I shouldn't have to :rolleyes2:

Grumble over - the mirror looks fantastic and I can't wait to point it at something shiny :grin:

Looks great Derek. 

Don't forget that it is a Dob. I don't think there a ever been one delivered that didn't need a tweet or two. It is part of the bonding process between Dob and Dobster.......

I have an extra tube ring on mine that I can move up or down for perfect ballance (in theory).

I see that you had to save a few pennies on the CA prevention and Eyepieces!!???

Gourmet set up. Enjoy the view.

Paul

4 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Looks great Derek. 

Don't forget that it is a Dob. I don't think there a ever been one delivered that didn't need a tweet or two. It is part of the bonding process between Dob and Dobster.......

I have an extra tube ring on mine that I can move up or down for perfect ballance (in theory).

I see that you had to save a few pennies on the CA prevention and Eyepieces!!???

Gourmet set up. Enjoy the view.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Yes, I suppose sorting out the niggles on a Dob is akin to a right of passage - I am sure after some very loud swearing in complete darkness when it tries to wriggle out of its rings when pointing at zenith we will become great friends :lol:

The new Paracorr and 21mm Ethos are simply an attempt to balance the weight of that big mirror at the other end. It's not like I've spoiled myself - just trying to be practical :rolleyes2:

I'm now going to attempt to understand the Zygo report, which will be difficult given that I have no idea what a good or bad Zygo report would look like :eek:

Stunning! Worth the wait. It looks great with the 80mm Finder. Here's to a fantastic first light. Like Paul says, every dob needs work. In some ways that's a shame, but in some ways that's part of the fun!!

Paul

Archived