New to SGL and desperately looking for visual observers...The Dob Mob is the answer?

Caput Gorgonis

Hello everyone!

I would like to say hello to everyone in SGL and introduce myself. I am an amateur from the north of sunny Spain, which basically means I get as much rain as in England. I consider myself an old fashion type of observer: I use fairly big dobs to observe and sketch. No pictures, no gotos, no motorised mounts. Although I appreciatte technology and I admire astrophotography I find my inner peace the classic way.

To make a long story short: A feel lonely out there! All around me (i.e. my association and in my "local" forums) is full of either astrophotographers or people whose interest in astronomy is casual.  I  consider myself a dedicated observer and I after toying with the idea of pursuing the Herschel 400 list for a while I decided to go for it. I looked for people to join me and all I got was "hey, good one!" and "good luck". 

I found out SGL while researching for my latest telescope (16" Sumerian Optics Canopus w/ Nicols Optics mirror) and I found some good advice in here (thank you!). Half way through my research I learned that there was something called "The Dob Mob" so I hope I find a place here to get some knowledge and share experiences.

So I think that's it! See you around!

Caput

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lordy ! Those are folks are the bearded Devils of large shaving mirrors ! They are prone to dew and driving long distances to nowhere.

There are plenty old school observers, just glide down to "Observing reports". Do post your observations, all are most gratefully read and replied to. Sharing your observations helps others and you'll learn a lot from the forums. I'm sure that you can't be the only observer within a reasonable distance. Let them know you're there and they'll come, or is that aliens ?

if you gave the skies for it, then big aperture will open up the skies wonderfully. So do let us other observers know hos you get on. I hear we even have an observer near St. Albans,

clear skies ,Nick.

You will indeed find plenty of fellow un-motorized, non-photographic, alt/az observers here. You'll also find plenty of fellow users of buckets with big mirrors in the bottom. As one, but not the other, I welcome you home.

Thank you very much to everyone  for such a nice and warm welcoming! Nice to see I was not the weird one!

With regards to the rain... yes, take my word for it. This area of Spain is called the Green Coast and let me tell you there are no goblinoids around here (is this the right forum for this kind of simils...).

Well, thanks again and clear skies!

Welcome to SGL, Caput- you'll find what you want here!

I'm a non-camera, non-equatorial sort of observer, but do like GoTo on my SCT.  All this talk of the Dob Mob makes me wonder if there ought to be a sub-section called the Cat Crowd.

Doug. 

Welcome. As a dedicated observer you could always look into submitting reports into various databases like the variable star databases etc if contributing to projects such as that would give you a sense of wider participation, although there is nothing like an evening observing with like minded people!

14 hours ago, Caput Gorgonis said:

With regards to the rain... yes, take my word for it. This area of Spain is called the Green Coast ..............

I didn't know that.  It looks like you might be getting more rain than we are.  So, "The rain in Spain doesn't fall mainly on the plain." :happy8:

EuropePrecipitation.jpg

17 hours ago, Caput Gorgonis said:

Thank you very much to everyone  for such a nice and warm welcoming! Nice to see I was not the weird one!

With regards to the rain... yes, take my word for it. This area of Spain is called the Green Coast and let me tell you there are no goblinoids around here (is this the right forum for this kind of simils...).

Well, thanks again and clear skies!

Cheers Calvin,

post-6974-0-54420500-1427443817[1].jpg

Archived