Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Forum Downtime (07/02/05)

Hi everyone,

Many apologies for the 5 hours! of downtime experienced tonight. As some of you may have noticed the forum has been running a little slower at times recently, at first I believed this to be due to another site that shares the server consuming all of the resources perhaps by being too busy for a shared enviroment. However, tonight the issue got worse and I sent compiled some evidence and sent it to my provider to get it sorted, no sooner had I done this when the server completely went down. It turns out that the primary hard-drive has been failing and this accounts for the performance getting worse and worse. Tonight it decided to kick the boat completely and it's been down for five hours whilst the data was retrieved and a new hard drive installed and setup.

Retrieving the data from the broken hard-drive ensures that no data is lost, I keep regular backs, on and offsite but I do these at most ever 24 hours, usually during the early hours so if I had to restore from a backup all posts from yesterday would've been lost, luckily this didn't happen and everything is back to normal.

I'm really pretty annoyed with my supplier now, these downtimes reflect badly on me, take alot of time to put right and are frankly just plain annoying for everyone! If the new hard-drive doesn't fix the speed issues then I will be migrating to a new host. Hopefully this won't have to happen but if it does, rest assured I will do everything in my power to ensure the forums continue to run smoothly and that the capacity is in place to maintain growth.

Many apologies again,

Grant

Thanks guys :lol:

Looks like it could be a long night here, the reinstall has hosed up a few parts of Isee Stars that I want to get sorted!

Luckily, my other server that houses customers websites wasn't affected, As the forum is getting quite large now I'm tempted to register a name like "sglbackup.co.uk" or something so that when the forum does go down regulars have a place to go that is hosted on a seperate server so they can keep updated as to what is happening and maybe have a mini message board/chatroom so that they have something to do whilst the forum is down.

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks everyone for your kind words :lol:

Lunator, the downtime would have been similar even with Raid because the new hard-drive would have to be rebuild and the whole raid system would have to be checked before it could be put back in production. That is unless you have a very expensive raid system with hot swap hard drives etc... I know my host are considering it, but to be honest hardware failure happens, as long as their backups are sound and mine are too then I can tolerate hardware failure. The other issue with raid, it's not a fault tolerant solution, it has one huge point of failure, the raid controller, if that goes then unless you have an identical one laying around it's a massive pain to sort out.

I'm going to spend sometime today looking at having a mirror of the forum, synced daily to my second server under a different domain name so that in events such as last night, the capacity is there to use somewhere else as a temporary fix :(

Cheers,

Grant

Grant, the forum is an amazing piece of work. We all need a bit of down time sometimes - Daz can put in a bit of quality family time, I can catch up with my work. I have trouble keeping my PC going for 5 hours. These are factors outside your control.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Martin

I nearly started smoking again :shock:

I thought it was all a dream :shock:

Never mind it gave me a chance to clean my scope!!

No need to apologise Grant you do a superb job with the SGL....

Greg

Archived