Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atlas Game Changer?? - Interstellarium

Paul73

Hi Guys 

This landed on my doorstep this morning:

image.thumb.jpg.a3f2d1eb554e9d4d601b5dff

Finally I have found an atlas that provides a decent level of detail and that clearly shows what might actually be visible through a telescope!! It isn't cheap. But when we spend a couple of hundred pounds on an eyepiec. The £40 - £50 ish that this will set you back seems ludicrously good value.

The maps are clear and detailed with different shadings for objects visible in 4", 8" and 12" scopes. It has NGC/Messier and common names on the maps as well. With suitable dew protection and a table, I'll be using this outside.

I still regard Uranometria (all 3 volumes) as the definitive work (please correct me if there is better). But, as a blend of usability and detail, this is peerless. Again, if you have this, and a better paper based observing companion, please shout up!

image.thumb.jpg.5941ce71d90e81b42d6b5c2a

Appologies for the unengilsh show of enthusiasm.

Hope that this post is usefull to someone.

Paul

18 minutes ago, estwing said:

Looks great but I still think ill plumb for urano 

I used to say that and my Uranometria isn't going anywhere. But, not having to look up magnitudes & dimensions is very convenient.

I have this Atlas i also have Sky Safari Pro on a Tablet, as you zoom in on the tablet it shows new deeper DSO's and the info on objects is first class, given a choice Sky Safari Pro would be the winner for all sorts of reasons....

Looks nice, but with that price tag I'll use Skysafari Pro which can show DSO's down to nearly 18. Although if I do get some spare money to spend on things this would be a cool book to have. :) 

Screen shot showing area around 52 Leo (k Leo). DSO max magnitude set at 15.

image.jpeg

I agree re Sky Safari Pro. That, on a tablet, is my preferred field observing guide. I don't belive that anything on paper will ever trump it for detail and flexibility. However, for the "what can I actually see" this is great.

I agree that 'Interstellarium' is a very useful Atlas for the dedicated DSO hunter,and really, a great bit of work , not badly priced,considering the cost of 'Academic' books ,but to be honest,it just didn't work for me.

I  have been using the 'S&T Pocket Sky Atlas' for the last four years,and find it's layout to be more intuitive (at least as far as my addled brain is concerned!).

I sold my copy of 'Inter' to a fellow board member,and used the money to fund a copy of 'The Cambridge Double Star Atlas',which are one of my main interests.

It might be a case of 'money burning a hole in my pocket',but I bought a copy of the Jumbo version of the 'Pocket Sky Atlas' the other week,to act as my library copy,and Sissy Haas' 'Double Stars for small Telescopes'.

The colour coding stops me chasing reflection nebulae unnecessarily. The scale means sometimes I need to starhop across between pages. Nice bit of kit otherwise, step up from the S&t pocket atlas.

I cover it with a thin but if plastic sheet stop any dew issues... Saves £££

cheers

peter

I bought this about 15 months back after Stu bought one and made a thread about it. I actually don't think it is badly priced with what is in it. I have 5 atlases here and this is by far the best though I do not own one of the really big volumes.

I really enjoy mine.  For double stars the line indicating the position of the secondary is a nice touch. What it lacks is the data sheet for each chart that the Cambridge maps have, so you need a companion or web resource for magnitudes etc. Paired with that, it is comprehensive!  Admittedly I also love a hard copy chart to work from. 

• 1 month later...

I wasn't looking to get any more atlases but I have finally caved in and got Interstellarium having heard so many good things about it. Straight away it looks really good.

The colour coding is practical as well as aesthetic, the double star coding (position angle "sticks") I've not seen before, the labelling is clever and comprehensive, the print quality is very good, the detailed expanded maps are good choices and good scales, and the physical size of it and the binding make it practical for the field (even though it's the desk edition, I just bag my maps up in plastic wallets). I like my other field maps (S&T pocket, and Cambridge Double Star Atlas) and I like Uranometria All Sky Edition and Deep Sky Field Guide but Interstellarium is different in a good way and I'm looking forward to trying it out in the field.

• 9 months later...

Snatched the field edition for about 90 quid, seems to be on discount. By the time I pay customs and tax, it will be less so. :(

SSPro is fabulous for scope control, except when it is cold. So I need something for those cold nights when I use the HC instead of Ipad control.

But, more importantly, I luuuurv books...Additionally, this one has some sort of color-coding about what is reasonable to look for. Now that I switch between C8 and 70mm APO, I will soon learn how accurate the estimates are. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice atlas although I still use the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas much more often - I guess it's size is more convenient :rolleyes2:

Interstellarium and Uranometria 2000.0 All Sky Edition are my reference atlases :icon_biggrin:

Archived