NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Calisto transition of Jupiter

Well looking at the wether it could be a good Jupiter evening so I think I will have a bash tonight. Anyway i was just checking out where the GRS would be and its not available until around 3am, so thats a no for tonight.

HOWEVER! a bonus is that calisto starts a transition around 7 but if you wait around its shadow starts to fall on Jup around 9 ish and continues to midnight.

The best time IMHO is just before half 9 when the shadow should be visible just part way over and Calisto will just be leaving its transition and you should start to see the moon as a separate entity just after 10.  Worth a go as the moon will kaibosh most other things tonight.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, going to try and get a sequence of pics to make an animated gif.

hope it goes better than last night's transits - got the first 5 videos done then wondered why Jupiter had disappeared off the screen - cloud of course.

And lo & behold about 1/2 hour after transits had finished - cleared up again - :hmh:

If I remember correctly, Callisto has a very low albedo and is much easier to see against the surface of the planet than the others. It appears dark, almost like a shadow but not as jet black.

39 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Io transits first followed by Callisto.  The Callisto transit is more of a 'graze'.  It just skims the polar region so may be more difficult to capture.  I shall have a go though.

There's no Io transit tonight? It is eclipsed by Jupiter, it doesn't transit.

I reckon Callisto should be quite doable, will be having a go anyway.

Yes just picked that up of Calsky. My Jupiters Moons app said multiple transit but Io is eclipsed as you say. Calsky gives the exact shadow and transit times for Callisto I've just noted down. There is a 23 minute window when transit and shadow occur together.

11 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Yes just picked that up of Calsky. My Jupiters Moons app said multiple transit but Io is eclipsed as you say. Calsky gives the exact shadow and transit times for Callisto I've just noted down. There is a 23 minute window when transit and shadow occur together.

According to March S&N - Callisto transits between 19:15 & 21:46 and the shadow transits between 21:03 and 00:14 on the 18th - I make that a 43minute window? (21:03 - 21:46)

14 minutes ago, John said:

Lovely here :icon_biggrin:

Quite apart from Calisto and it's shadow, the festoons straddling the equatorial zone are superb tonight - the best I've seen for ages. 

Seeing is a bit wobbly here, can only pick up Callisto now it's peeking out of the side of the limb. Shadow looking great and I agree John, those festoons are spectacular!

28 minutes ago, John said:

Lovely here :icon_biggrin:

Quite apart from Calisto and it's shadow, the festoons straddling the equatorial zone are superb tonight - the best I've seen for ages. 

I have to concur here, this is the best seeing I have ever had of Jupiter. For the first 20 minutes the seeing was looking pants, so I played around on the moon, a few doubles, tried "ununsuccessfully" to find an open cluster then went back to Jupiter and hell's bells, did I just come back on a different night!

The seeing was now very good from being mediocre. I picked up Calisto almost immediately and those festoons as you mentioned John were fantastic, but the seeing just seemed to improve more and more. I waited for the shadow to arrive and it was right on cue, started with what looked like a tiny nibble, really couldn't believe the detail I was getting, then slowly creeped around the planet as though a mouse was nibbling away at it. So both Cal and its shadow together (in high detail), no averted needed although I was using a 12.5% ND filter which really helped.

Anyway to cut it short before I get on one the seeing was so good I was getting a very steady image even at x240 although detail wasn't as defined. Its a toss up between x180 and x200 as to which yielded the best overall results. 180 was the clearer but the extra x20 gave just a little more detail at the loss of some clarity.

So I have just packed up as at cowboy time, I saw black between calisto and jupiter as it ended its transit, my back was aching because of sitting to long and forgetting to lower my seat and it's work tomorrow.

Very much a worthwhile night, cheers all. :hello2:

I have managed to get out tonight, first time in ages. Seeing is very good here although transparency is not 100%. Jupiter is showing plenty of detail, I can see what looks like a loop of darker material creating, what looks like, a white spot. About the same size as the GRS. Cannot shot any video tonight so hope somebody else gets some. :icon_biggrin:   

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Seeing is a bit wobbly here, can only pick up Callisto now it's peeking out of the side of the limb. Shadow looking great and I agree John, those festoons are spectacular!

Thinking about it, I did pick up Callisto itself when it was centrally positioned. The seeing was poor at that time so it was tricky to see, not a clear view at all. It disappeared as it got into the darker limb region.

By the time Jupiter was in view (ie: clear of houses and trees) Callisto's disk was nearing the limb and I could not see it against the cloud tops. It's been looking an interesting pale brownish colour as it's been pulling away from the limb. I've been using the 12" dob as I usually seem to do on these occasions and trying out my new 7mm and 10mm Pentax XW's, which have shown the giant planet superbly at 159x and 227x.

Rather excellent views of the Moon earlier as well plus Sirius and "Pup". Good session overall :icon_biggrin:

Archived