NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Calisto transition of Jupiter

Sounds like Jupiter is the star of the show, glad to hear so many have had a good view of tonights action.  Even pointed my little achro. at it, but could only dream of seeing festoons...  In fairness though, i could at least observe the nice shadow of Callisto on the globe so was happy with that.

andrew

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Jupiter on and off between 8:15 and 10:30 last night using x150 to begin and x200 as the evening wore on.  

Lovely to see Callisto's shadow move from left to right in the view and Callisto itself to emerge off edge of Jupiter.    I could not make out Callisto whilst it was in front of Jupiter - not sure if that was my inexperience or if it just too difficult.    The shadow appeared as a very dark red (which seems odd, why would it not be black, perhaps an eye trick given the yellow background?).

I could only make out 3 distinct belts last night but there was lots of detail to see, especially in the northern equatorial belt, including a large loop surrounding a white eye on the edge nearer the equator.

Seeing here was pretty poor - not sure if its a local effect, and to cap it all - mid shadow transit Jupiter decides to hide behind some branches poking out from the top of the only tree in the line of sight.

Still got some nice images though - best ever for me - with new/old kit - old DFK camera, new x2.5 barlow and new EQ8 mount - boy does that make a difference in tracking when imaging :~7m f/l. Its still not polar aligned properly, but easily keeps Jupiter in frame for a lot of minutes at a time (unguided) and given that Jupiter is ~40% of the frame that's going some - sooo much better than the old fork:hello2:

I wrote this of our experience.

'After reading the heads up of Jupiter's activity tonight with calisto transit I didn't have any expectations just thought I would go look at Jupiter as has been a year now with the Heritage 130p. Couldn't get the moons to resolve to a pin [removed word] but kept huddled over the scope watching with the 16mm, was a pleasing experience and could just make out Calisto appearing to the side but eye placement was fiddly... Em... collimation out! Dug out the torch some it down (couldn't see the Moon from where I was) ah that's better. Got  out the 6mm and tried again. Sat for over an hour hunched up watching Calisto appear and then see the moon's shadow show on Jupiter's surface as a black dot.  Could also make out 5 equatorial bands on Jupiter. Awesome and for such a humble telescope rather gobsmacked. Viewing wasn't steady it came in and out of view but wow wow never thought we would see a moon shadow or more than the 2 main bands.'

Very glad I left the webcam in the bag and just sat and observed instead.

Hi Everyone,

I'm usually just an avid reader of the site picking up hint and tips as I go but this topic caught my eye as I was observing on the 16th.

Also very much a beginner with this but held an interest since being a kid. I keep practicing with Jupiter, The Moon and also seen some deep sky stuff as well.

I think on this picture I managed to get Io but don't know what the other is in the background just above Jupiter. Other than a CGEM 9.25 I used a Canon 60D in crop mode, Pipp, Registax and played within that to sharpen, can't afford processing software unfortunately. I need to make better notes as I go I know that but the excitement of a clear night got the better of me.

Thanks to all who contribute as you really have helped me a lot, even a post about the Celestron powertank replacement battery I got for £17 delivered saved me a chunk of money and it wasn't too difficult to replace. I suppose I need to edit my details now that I have posted.

Cheers

Jupiter.jpg

Nice capture! This is the snapshot at a similar time from SkySafari. You have Ganymede just above the disk, and I can also see Io on the disk. GRS of course and the two shadows. Excellent!

image.png

image.png

10 hours ago, nogara said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm usually just an avid reader of the site picking up hint and tips as I go but this topic caught my eye as I was observing on the 16th.

Also very much a beginner with this but held an interest since being a kid. I keep practicing with Jupiter, The Moon and also seen some deep sky stuff as well.

I think on this picture I managed to get Io but don't know what the other is in the background just above Jupiter. Other than a CGEM 9.25 I used a Canon 60D in crop mode, Pipp, Registax and played within that to sharpen, can't afford processing software unfortunately. I need to make better notes as I go I know that but the excitement of a clear night got the better of me.

Thanks to all who contribute as you really have helped me a lot, even a post about the Celestron powertank replacement battery I got for £17 delivered saved me a chunk of money and it wasn't too difficult to replace. I suppose I need to edit my details now that I have posted.

Cheers

Jupiter.jpg

Well for a begginer that is a very impressive image,keep up the good work. :headbang:

Archived