Green and Black Slippery Slope

Andyb90

I think I'm now well and truly on the Green and Black slippery slope :icon_biggrin:, having just picked up a 24mm Panoptic to go with my recently purchased 8mm Delos.

I found the EP on Gumtree of all places.

Can't wait to try it out when I get some clear skies.

Is there any hope left for my bank balance?

Andy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree! Good quality (especially used) astro equipment is just the same as money in the bank - and a lot more fun than 0.1% interest. You can always cash your chips in at a future date. I agree though that TV and the 24mm Panoptic are a fine choice.

27 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I was sitting here contemplating selling a couple of Ethos off and I'm not sure what happened but I just bought another TV?:dontknow: Televue does seem to get a tight grip on us once the first purchase has been made.:confused2:

why, have you gone mad sir!

The very 1st 1.25" eyepieces I ever bought were Tele Vue plossls back in the late 1980's.

There are many more decent eyepieces knocking at Tele Vues door these days but, so far, with the exception of Pentax XW's, I've not found one that exceeds the performance of the equivilent Tele Vue model.

There are items such as the Nikon NAV HW, Leica ASPH zoom and the Docter 12.5mm UWA which may be a tiny improvement on Tele Vues but the prices of those are even more than the green and black's.

43 minutes ago, John said:

There are items such as the Nikon NAV HW, Leica ASPH zoom and the Docter 12.5mm UWA which may be a tiny improvement on Tele Vues but the prices of those are even more than the green and black's.

I don't know if Leica zoom is any better than Delos. but, Leica zoom in combination with Baader VIP barlow effectively covers the range of 8 Delos, with a cost less than 4 used Delos is surely a more cost efficient way, and with slight benefit of easy use and 5-years' warranty.

40 minutes ago, YKSE said:

I don't know if Leica zoom is any better than Delos. but, Leica zoom in combination with Baader VIP barlow effectively covers the range of 8 Delos, with a cost less than 4 used Delos is surely a more cost efficient way, and with slight benefit of easy use and 5-years' warranty.

Thats a fair point.

I've yet to use a Leica ASPH zoom and find out how it does in my scopes. I'd need to do that before "jumping ship" I think.

Are the Portugese made ones any different in quality to the German made ones, do you know ?

56 minutes ago, John said:

Are the Portugese made ones any different in quality to the German made ones, do you know ?

John,

I don't know. I'm kind of under impression that most if not all the Leica zooms mentioned here and on CN are made in Portugo.

Well my recent TV purchase was for a 25mm plossl- I figured because this thing showed me the HH first, it should have company for the binos. It barlows well this EP and while not giving stunning views, I find myself reaching for it quite a bit, its earned its keep on this slippery Green and Black slope.

15 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I disagree! Good quality (especially used) astro equipment is just the same as money in the bank - and a lot more fun than 0.1% interest. You can always cash your chips in at a future date. I agree though that TV and the 24mm Panoptic are a fine choice.

I will try that point with Mrs Baggy.......:icon_biggrin:

Archived