NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which one do I get?

Hi all,

It seems I just cant make up my mind which scope to get, just when I think I'm sure, I either see another one or I see the size and get put off or maybe any other excuse going by the looks of it.

I don't know what I want from the scope there's so much in astronomy to single out one section. Planets are cool but so are deep space objects and not to mention the astrophotography pictures people on here are making.

I would love to make photos like these but I understand the mount is the most vital part and also the most expensive but can you get half decent photos out of a cheaper mount with a motor just to get started in the learning process.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/photography-accessories/telescopes/meade-polaris-130md-eq-reflector-telescope-blue-10134778-pdt.html#srcid=11026

For visual only i'm thinking about this one, although I have seen a decent tutorial on here about using a modified webcam and a dob

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Out of the two, which is the better scope.

Many thanks.

Hiya,

If you're set on doing photography, then you need the EQ mount. The 150 dob is a much better scope for visual, though ... you've just gotta decide which is more important to you.

Kev

Do you already own a dslr camera?

Only there is no certainty that the meade will reach focus with a dslr, if you used the tripod just with your camera what eq is it can you even buy a motor for it?

I think it is best to buy from an astro reseller unless you know what it is and why you are buying it.

The 150 is the better Newtonian scope. The mounts are different (eq v's dob) so any comparison must depend what you intend to use it for. And of the two shops - I'd say, if the only choice were Currys, then get nothing - they'll do you no favours in terms of astronomy at all. Go with the FLO every time. :)

Hold off on astrophotography for the moment - at least until you win the national lottery - and concentrate on visual. I doubt the Meade mount/tripod will do you any favours, and most probably cause you a lot of frustration.

Get the Skywatcher dob for aperture and ease of use. And yes, some limited photography is possible.

If the bug bites, you will certainly upgrade your telescope sooner or later, and with the knowledge and experience gained on the dob you will have a much better idea where to go!

The Dob is the better scope.

I had your exact same problems for 6 months and for basically the same reasons, TBH i still do as i,m planning on adding another scope :).

But in all honesty unless you want to end up keep buying and selling you really must decide exactly what you want from your scope before you buy.

Go for the Dob to start

Get used to using the scope and what to expect.

You will need a better mount than the one in the first choice and a different scope.

Then you can start the slippery slope to astro imaging    :)

Gareth

Hi all,

It seems I just cant make up my mind which scope to get...........

Many thanks.

I would say the 150P is the better option, but if you can afford the 200P, better still.

There is bigger to follow in the range but weight and focal ratios may dictate your options regarding  transportation and eyepiece selection, that's why I chose the 200P 8" version. An easy scope to work with, great results too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20 January 2016 at 15:56, leo82 said:

Hi all,

It seems I just cant make up my mind which scope to get, just when I think I'm sure, I either see another one or I see the size and get put off or maybe any other excuse going by the looks of it.

I don't know what I want from the scope there's so much in astronomy to single out one section. Planets are cool but so are deep space objects and not to mention the astrophotography pictures people on here are making.

I would love to make photos like these but I understand the mount is the most vital part and also the most expensive but can you get half decent photos out of a cheaper mount with a motor just to get started in the learning process.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/photography-accessories/telescopes/meade-polaris-130md-eq-reflector-telescope-blue-10134778-pdt.html#srcid=11026

For visual only i'm thinking about this one, although I have seen a decent tutorial on here about using a modified webcam and a dob

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Many thanks.

Hi, I'm new to all of this too and have recently had the same sense of should I or shouldn't I, that you are currently experiencing. As others have said I would definitely only buy from an Astro seller, avoid high street stores as they are simply selling you a product with no expertise in what they are selling you. I have had some great assistance from Martin at FLO who answered al of my questions before I'd even spent a penny with them.

My long term aim is Astro photography, however, for now I have decided to just get the basics right. So I am starting just by observing planetary and working out to the nearer DSO, I have purchased the Celestron NexImage webcam for some planetary imaging for now.

I think I won't start the Astro photography until at least a year down the line, when I feel comfortable finding my way around the night sky and have a better understanding of all the equipment out there and how it works and it's purpose.

Don't run before you can walk as my mum used to say to me!

Whatever you decide, I hope you have clear skies.

You are definitely in the right place though, as there is a huge font of knowledge within these forums!

Archived