SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Belt To Sword (Part 3) - 17 Hours

Uranium235

Righty ho! Its taken about 20 stabs at processing this one but I think Ive got it licked now.

The main problem has been differing background levels between panes (with the centre one causing all the problems), but I found a new (to me) way of sorting that out using MS ICE and saving it off as a photoshop project - which allows me to manually adjust the black point for each pane instead of it being automatically done (and getting clipped data in the process).

Not as severe a process as last time, as the name of the game has been getting rid of noise in the dimmer portions of the image which is easier said than done! I will present it as a portait too, as it appears in the sky.

Pane1: 20x900 (Ha)
Pane2: 28x900 (Ha)
Pane3: 20x900 (Ha)

Calibrated/Stacked in DSS, Stitched together with ICE, Processed in Ps.

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

Landscape:

24436414035_fe9220b110_h.jpg

Portrait (prepare for a bit of scrolling....lol):

24140870160_4edd733e47_k.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/Den1xn

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys :)   Will there be any colour for this? Well, I dont know just yet - it would probably be easier for me to go over it in OIII rather than messing with the DSLR again. But I'd like to pay a visit to the Rosette first, as this project is all I've been doing for the last two months!

Thanks guys :)   Will there be any colour for this? Well, I dont know just yet - it would probably be easier for me to go over it in OIII rather than messing with the DSLR again. But I'd like to pay a visit to the Rosette first, as this project is all I've been doing for the last two months!

Two months? Don't ever get involved with O'Donoghue!!!!

:happy7: lly

Thanks John and Chris  :)   Colour... still thinking about that because having seen Scotts (Auspoms) rather good HH, its probably doable. But it wont require the level of exposure that this Ha layer has because barring M42 and the Flame, the rest of it would be red - leaning towards a sort of purple/magenta(ish) type colour. It largely depends on how much clear, moonless sky I get during Feb.

You must be chuffed with this Rob! Awesome image :)

The starless version is interesting to see too

Cheers Jamie, Orion does indeed look very odd when robbed of its stars. Alnitak was surprisingly easy to nuke :D  the Ps action wouldnt touch it, but the clone brush sorted that one out.

symesie04, on 18 Jan 2016 - 2:20 PM, said:symesie04, on 18 Jan 2016 - 2:20 PM, said:

ooh that is quite lovely, wonderful detail and nicely processed sir. Amazing how thick the neb looks without stars.

Thanks :)  You know, that version is starting to grow on me a bit now - I think an OIII layer would really set it off (and capture the other main component of M42). So I just need some clear sky!!

Really nice Rob. If I'm honest I prefer the version with stars but thats justa personal preference. Both are very easy on the eye.

No harm in having a rest from this and moving on to the rosette. Orion will be back next year :)

Archived