Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Storage Box

MikeP

Takahashi did not supply a storage box for my scope. The boxes it was shipped in (three in "Russian Doll" style) are very robust but a bit too tacky for me (no pun intended), so I decided to make a box.

I bought rough sawn timber - it is cheaper than PAR which still needs to be prepared to make it square and straight.

6315_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

After preparation, I cut grooves and tenons with a router.

6316_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Then glued it up into panels.

6317_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The panels were then screwed together to make a closed box.

6318_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Which was then cut in half to make a bottom and a top.

6319_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The hardware (Protex Fasteners) was then attached prior to final sanding and oiling.

6320_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It was then time to attack the foam (FoamForComfort). After experimenting, I found that the easiest way to cut it was with a band saw.

6321_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I'm a much better woodworker than foamworker, but here is the end result .....

6322_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6323_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Considering that it was a fag packet design, I'm reasonably pleased with it. Box plus scope is fairly heavy, but it is not intended to be portable - it will eventually reside in the garage and will have the occasional Star Party trip out.

Mike

Thanks for the compliments chaps. It looks better in the pictures than in the flesh - I made two or three silly mistakes that I had to fix / work round.

The wife doesn't understand why I didn't just knock one up out of plywood. Was Mrs Chippendale as hard hearted? :shocked:

Mike

Hi Mike,

Very nice job , are you taking orders? :shocked:

If you ever need a carry bag , Telescope House do an Orion refractor carry bag. I have one it takes my 5" APO easily. Got it when they had their recent 10% reduction.

John

For a moment there I thought you making a .......coffin :shocked::cat: Seriously thats excellent wood craft and I would be proud of that :cat:

George,

I almost said the same, and I was going to put an order in for two, one for me and one for the Mrs. Hers will only need to be a little un. The Coop are too pricey :cat:

Ron.

Archived