NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hey!!

cherrypie

hiya everyone!!

well first hellooo to u all :)

i havent done any astronomy for about 11 years, last telescope was the skywatcher 130m, my kids are getting me the star travel 102 synscan AZ GOTO for xmas :), i always wanted to get into astrophotography, is this a good choice to start off with? i know you need a an slr camera and the older the better, is this also right? :)

Hi cherrypie. That's a pretty decent scope to start off astronomy again with. Not sure how well it would cope with a camera attached to it though. For photos of the moon and stuff it might be OK, but for any deep sky objects the mount needs to be a lot better I believe to get any shots longer than about 15 seconds exposure.

But even so, you'll get some great views visually throuh the scope, and won't have to hunt around too much with th syncscan unit. Just remember to wrap up nice and warm for any observing session with the winter fast approaching. :)

Hi and welcome to SGL - Regarding a camera then you'll benefit hugely from a D ..... SLR (Digital) unless you are thinking of processing your own pictures on film? As for age, the older ones are cheaper for sure, but you would benefit from some of the newer technology advancements in the Canon's for example such as a newer processor and a flip out screen (Just two things I know of). Perhaps something else to add to your Christmas list would be a copy of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' - available in the book section of the FLO website.... This covers the beginners stuff of imaging, especially focused on Deep Sky objects such as galaxies and nebulas (as opposed to planets and the moon).

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Cherrypie and welcome to SGL, for advice on your intended Astrophotography, you need to refer your questions to the imaging and photographic sections of the forum, rather than here in the Welcome section, as it has a much bigger following and I am sure you will gain the help you seek, on the relevant matters of scope and cameras, enjoy the forum :)

hiya everyone!!

well first hellooo to u all :)

i havent done any astronomy for about 11 years, last telescope was the skywatcher 130m, my kids are getting me the star travel 102 synscan AZ GOTO for xmas :), i always wanted to get into astrophotography, is this a good choice to start off with? i know you need a an slr camera and the older the better, is this also right? :)

Hello and Welcome.

Like you I am new to this forum and also possess that Alt-Az Goto mount  and some telescopes including your 102.

My interest is also Astrophotography but I am frequently told that the Alt-Az mount id not suitable for imaging.

However, I have found that you can have success and is worth pursuing.

I have used two cameras.

The first is a Philips SPC900NC webcam, which is now only available second-hand.

My main camera is now a Canon EOS 1100D DSLR which includes the important live screen facility, not possessed by older DSLRs.

So, older is not better.

This 1100D has now been replaced by the similar 1200D.  It is the cheapest DSLR in the Canon range and is suitable for astrophotography.

The Alt-Az mount is fine for imaging the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and possibly Mars.

I have also imaged some of the brighter DSOs like Orion, Andromeda and some of the star clusters.

The mount can handle exposures up to about 30 sec with care, but you may need to be selective when stacking.

So you will be able to achieve some imaging with your system.

Good Luck

Hi Cherriepie,

Welcome to SGL. With a AZ GOTO mount you might be limited to a point, but it is a good setup to start with. Doing Lunar or Planetary imaging will be great and those bright near objects is a great place to star your astrophotography adventure.

• 1 month later...

Hello and welcome cherrypie

The quickest and probably the cheapest way to get into AP is to use an old converted webcam. Almost any webcam can be utilised and all that is needed is a bit of DIY modding. YouTube does many such videos. I started with a Logitech webcam which cost me a tenner from ebay and another tenner for an adapter. This will get you great shots of the moon and planets. You do need a laptop and some free software (for guiding and stacking) which are widely available on the web.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Archived