Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Andromeda (just), a few clusters and some tree's lol...

Hi all, its been what feels like a life time since ive had my scope out imaging.....last night we had about an hour gap in cloud, so i got my heq5 out in the garden, i could not be bothered getting the scope and laptop out or with the long winded setup and getting guiding going etc, so i thought why dont i just image with the DSLR?.........lol, this was the first time ive tried imaging with the dslr with a lens on and it was a nice change i can tell you, within 5 mins i was setup and polar aligned, but then i found out my shutter release is playing up and would not take shots automatically so i had to manually keep the shutter open which was a pain, but none the less i loved it and got a couple images im happy with which i was not expecting at all for a quick setup and rushed polar alignment lol.....

HEQ5 - Canon 7D, nifty fifty stopped down to f2.8, ISO200, 121 second exposures, i cant wait to test this combo out at my dark site in the forest with a lot of subs! :)

22999552212_bec07802c8_b.jpg

Bagged Andromeda! (just lol) can you spot her :) by Martin Young, on Flickr

22999456232_a4ae1c3738_b.jpg

cosmos through the tree's... by Martin Young, on Flickr

thanks all for the kind comments, would someone mind ringing the triangulum galaxy for me lol

these are both 1 sub @ 120 seconds ISO200

No need for ringing: try starhopping:

Go from M31 down and right until you get to Mirach (the brightes White star when moving down and to the right). At equal distance but opposite Mirach you will find Triangulum (M33) just at the edge of your image.

BTW you also bagged the open cluster NGC 752. From the brightest star at the bottom of your image, move to the right and you'll see the cluster. Three for the price of one. Great image

Great fun isn`t it with a camera and lens I have even gone back to fixed tripod recently its a guarenteed way to beat the clouds.

Alan

Ah tell me about it buddy, it's a dream for me compared to setting up the scope imaging Literally 5 mins and your ready to start shooting, one thing tho I'm not use to having so many objects in one field of view lool, it's a good thing tho, can't wait to try some more with the nifty fifty that s for sure

No need for ringing: try starhopping:

Go from M31 down and right until you get to Mirach (the brightes White star when moving down and to the right). At equal distance but opposite Mirach you will find Triangulum (M33) just at the edge of your image.

BTW you also bagged the open cluster NGC 752. From the brightest star at the bottom of your image, move to the right and you'll see the cluster. Three for the price of one. Great image

Hi Alan, wow thanks for that! I'm terrible at star hopping, that's what eqmod is for haha, again thanks for taking the time to star hop me to M33

That's a nice Image - I love that area of the night sky.

I love taking widefield images with my nifty fifty too. I especially like sitting and looking, usually zoomed right in, at the finished/processed image at the starfields and wondering if any other "civilizations" are looking back..

That's a nice Image - I love that area of the night sky.

I love taking widefield images with my nifty fifty too. I especially like sitting and looking, usually zoomed right in, at the finished/processed image at the starfields and wondering if any other "civilizations" are looking back..

Same for me.

As for looking back; if the other civilizations could see details, they would probably see us running around in bear skins and inventing fire. Or they would see dinosaurs roaming around.

What fascinates me is how far back in time we can see. Some time ago I observed NGC 4125, which I believe is some 70 milion light years away. The light we see now left the galaxy when T-rex roamed the Earth. How cool is that!

Thanks all :) does feel good i admit having some new data to play about with, im just trying to get PI to annotate the image for me, but the image solver is not having any of it..... :(

Some fabulous starfields there, caught the stars' colours perfectly. Good work! Looking forward to what you are able to achieve from your dark sky sites.

thanks,, im also looking forward, i was quite shocked i got this amount of detail really, from one 2 min sub, @ ISO200! too :) i might even try M31 & M33 again but centered in FOV when i go to the forest next, be nice to see what 5 hours worth of 2 min subs chucks out @ f2.8 :)

Well done on the images.

Good to see the widefield setup worked for you.

Will you be doing more widefield images?

Thanks buddy, I could not be happier with how the

Test run went tbh, and the setup time is what's

Got me hooked to this wide field imaging malarkey

Lol,

1000% will be doing more wide field, hoping to get

A lot of hours in to do some serious stacking and

Processing, I was surprised at how little noise this

Image has, it was shot at iso 200 tho, hardly

Needed any NR :) you going to dust the cob webs

Off your star adventure then and join me in some

Lovely wide field imaging :)

Archived