NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spacerock-UK meteorites at FLO

FLO

Liking the thought of starting a collection will you be stocking more examples? Maybe you could do meteorite of the month?

I don't want to give too much away but we do have plans :smile:

We will post news and details here at SGL so, if you haven't already, please subscribe to this thread. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canyon Diablo is a nice iron to have in a collection :smiley:

The odd thing is that you can't buy it at the visitor centre and it's forbidden to search the area around the crater, unless by special licence.

Please bear with us while we improve our photography. Our current studio setup really doesn't suit meteorites. For example these slices from the meteorite NWA869 contain a higher metal content than others, the metal glints beautifully in the light but capturing that in a photo is a challenge. The photo below really doesn't do them justice but we will improve over time. 

meteorite_nwa869_slices_group.jpg

You need a lot more subs.

Before it was known that the huge crater in Arizona was created by a meteorite, the iron deposits there - from the meteorite - was mined quite heavily. It has been pointed out that if you used old cast-iron skillets your Grandmom had, that was quite possibly where the iron came from. True story!

I have a nice hunk of this fall (a 'fall' is what meteorite-heads call the events and the chunks found from it), and it's very dense indeed. Highly magnetic, too. Pieces of this have a very nice and smooth black 'fusion-crust.' That's what the blackened exterior of these critters is called. Meteorite collecting is quite addictive, and can require deep-pockets at that. Tiny little (weighed in milligrams) pieces of some that have been analyzed and found to be Martian in in their source can cost thousands of $£€'s. Slightly less are pieces found to be from the Moon.

Be sure of your source before plunking down any money though. There are occasionly to be found people selling rocks that were being used to pave their driveway. "Buy a jen-you-ween hunk'o Halley's Comet!"

Woof -

Dave

I have a nice hunk of this fall (a 'fall' is what meteorite-heads call the events and the chunks found from it), and it's very dense indeed. Highly magnetic, too. Pieces of this have a very nice and smooth black 'fusion-crust.' That's what the blackened exterior of these critters is called. Meteorite collecting is quite addictive, and can require deep-pockets at that. Tiny little (weighed in milligrams) pieces of some that have been analyzed and found to be Martian in in their source can cost thousands of $£€'s. Slightly less are pieces found to be from the Moon....

The total recovered weight of known Martian meteorites is quite a lot larger than that of Lunar so the market pricing reflects that.

Before it was known that the huge crater in Arizona was created by a meteorite, the iron deposits there - from the meteorite - was mined quite heavily. It has been pointed out that if you used old cast-iron skillets your Grandmom had, that was quite possibly where the iron came from. True story!

I doubt that :smile: 

I am not going to pretend I am a meteorite expert but I have a new-found interest. From what I hear Barringer spent 27 years trying to find the main mass of Canyon Diablo but without success. Most of the meteorite vaporised on impact. The total recovered weight, though still substantial, is just a fraction of the overall mass of the impacting object. The largest pieces recovered do weigh a few hundred KG each but these are in museums, not made into your gran's pots and pans. 

Steve

How do large solid bodies form in space? I struggle to understand how interstellar dust can form into lumps of rock. Planets, yes I can see how billions of tons of dust falling into a gravity well will melt, but put a pile of gravel or sand into space and leave it for a billion or two years, and it isn't going to coalesce into a solid lump - or is it?

Tiny little (weighed in milligrams) pieces of some that have been analyzed and found to be Martian in in their source can cost thousands of $£€'s.

I recently bought a nice framed milligramme sized piece of a Mars meteorite from Spacerocks for surprisingly little (just £35).

How do large solid bodies form in space? I struggle to understand how interstellar dust can form into lumps of rock. Planets, yes I can see how billions of tons of dust falling into a gravity well will melt, but put a pile of gravel or sand into space and leave it for a billion or two years, and it isn't going to coalesce into a solid lump - or is it?

There is a very interesting and popular little book, written by Dr John Gribbin, "Stardust", that should help to give an understanding of how matter formed in space, first published in 2000, but copies can be had quite cheaply now, for almost just the postage cost, from that large online book outlet :)

If you visit Flo, each meteorite sample is pictured next to a Lego Imperial Stormtrooper

I stand corrected.

Could I suggest a ruler

We have noticed the grown-ups are using a little metric cube in their photos so we probably ought to do the same. It's a pity though, I was thinking Darth Vader would be perfect for the Campo Del Cielo  :biggrin:

Steve

We have noticed the grown-ups are using a little metric cube in their photos so we probably ought to do the same. It's a pity though, I was thinking Darth Vader would be perfect for the Campo Del Cielo  :biggrin:

Steve

Maybe your pictures could include both ?

I do like the little Star Wars figures, but understand why people may want the little metric cube...

I was lucky enough to receive two meteorites for Christmas from my sons, and they are the biz. Really pleased with them :)

Just saw these on your site, the pic for the Campo Del Cielo rocks, the top right one.....do you have that exact one in store still? I ask because it looks like it has a heart on it. I'd love to have that rock  :grin:

Archived