Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Go to mount from mains!

Been reading lots of threads with what seems very elaborate/complex ways of providing power to got I mounts. Is there an easy solution?

I am only going to use my scope/mount at home and so was hoping there was an idiot proof way of powering the mount from mains.

Any examples/photos/diagrams of people's set ups would be appreciated as I am already thinking I have bitten off more than I can chew and I haven't even turned the thing on.

I'll come onto auto guiding once I've got my head round this.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got myself a 12V 5A adapter from ebay for my HEQ5 - grand total of less than 10A$! I run an outdoor power lead from the garage. Haven't had any problems in a year. I now have a powerboard in between so I can use the laptop from mains too.

It's not all that hard, just give it a go!

Cheers

HJ

Depends what you call complex I guess.

I got a laptop charging cable which kicks iut 15.5v (I think but I'd need to check), and cut off the socket which would fit into the laptop, and wired one of these onto the cut end - requires you to merge two wires, positive and negative, solder or use a junction box as you see fit, and make sure polarity is correct. And hey presto, sorted.

If you get polarity wring you'll blow the mount up as there is no polarity protection.

You need to check what voltage your mount will accept, and go for the mid to higher end of the range. If you are going to power other devices off this you need to make sure your output voltage is suitable for all devices and that the power output of the laptop charger is sufficient to meet everythings needs when on maximum draw.

James

I use a mains lead that has a mains to 12V adapter, it's specially designed for the mounts I have with the right polarity.  I got mine from Modern Astronomy, I am sure FLO will probably sell one too.  Wasn't all that cheap, but at least i know it's the right cable for the job.

Carole 

I made one with a 240 to 12v step down transformer (a laptop charger) and the voltage my mount was getting at the end of the wires was less than 12v and I was finding the mount wasn't that happy and on occasion the light would flash suggesting inadequate voltage. Thisnis why I re-made it with a higher voltage output transformer.

If money is mo problem, buy a ready made one; if you are on a budget or like tinkering, make your own. But polarity is vital, i can't stress that enough.

James

Hi Rob,

IF, you or a qualified friend are 'electrically' competent, its no real problem running an armoured mains cable, to an IP56 enclosure, big enough to have a standard twin mains outlet, and one of these from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/power-pax-120w-switched-mode-dc-fixed-voltage-12v-power-supply-n96ju which will give you enough for your mount & future equipment...

If you don't want a permanent install then it very easy. I just use an extension lead plugged into an RCD trip switch in the garage. I then have a mains to 12V transformer at the mount and cover it if necessary to stop it getting too dewy. Never had a problem.

I use a cheap toolbox with my power supplies inside.  I fixed a 12V sockets inside the lid compartments and cut out nicks to the cables would not be pinched when everything is closed.  This is plugged into an RCD where the lead from this plugs in inside the house and there are no mains sockets outside the box.  

Quite a few neat and simple ideas. Certainly given me a few ideas. Thanks as always. Might try running an outdoor cable from the conservatory to an X21 stored in a toolbox (great idea btw). Hopefully will be able to run mount, laptop and power for dslr from that and without getting electrocuted (fingers crossed).

I use an old CB Radio power supply on my NEQ6 & made up my own powe lead, I used to use a 5 Amp one but I eventually dug my other one out of the shed & its huge, I think its around 25 Amps but still produces a constant 13.8 volts. I've only just started to use this one as the CCD camera draws 4 Amps on its own let alone dew bands & the mount.

Hi Rob, I've been using an ordinary 2 socket extension lead, (1 for the mount and 1 for the camera),for about the last 18 months so I guess I'm on borrowed time!!! I like the idea of putting it all in a box to stop the dew, maybe with some bubble wrap as well.

P.

I use one of these:

CCTV Power Supply

with one of these:

Power Splitter

So I can power the HEQ5 and other 12V bits that have the same power connector, 5A plenty beef for most things.

Great idea, and you haven't had any problems with this set up? Why does every one go for these expensive PSU's if it's as simple as this? And cheap! Almost seems to good to be true when it comes to astronomy.

Cheers for the advice

Great idea, and you haven't had any problems with this set up? Why does every one go for these expensive PSU's if it's as simple as this? And cheap! Almost seems to good to be true when it comes to astronomy.

Cheers for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

If your power light on a NEQ6 flickers the voltage is to low, normally happens when slewing, 12v supplies are only 1 volt above the minimum supply required (11 - 15v) , a 13.8v supply is a lot more stable and if you get the odd GoTo thats doesn't go where you want it, that's the reason, ok if you just viewing, but in the middle of a viewing session it could be a disaster......

There are also CCTV power supplies available with voltage trimming so you could measure the voltage under full load and adjust if dropping below the minimum. Normally the voltage output of a PSU will drop when the current draw is above the PSU rating.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived