NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar imaging camera research

Montana

I am doing a little research. Please could you reply to this post and say:

What camera + chip are you using for solar imaging?

What is its good points?

What is its bad points?

You only need to say a brief sentence  and if you use several please do all of them, the good the bad and the ugly.

Many thanks for your help

Alexandra

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this specifically for Ha/CaK Alexandra, or were you thinking white light as well?

For Ha I've mostly used the ASI120MM, but the well-documented ring problem means it's not really ideal without additional kit such as the tilting unit some people use.  The main positive is that it has a reasonably large sensor.

James

I'm using a QHY5L-II mono version - APTIMA CMOS Sensor MT9M034, 1/3 inch

good points - small (size of my 15mm plossl), fairly light, decent...ish frame rate (50fps at 800x600 or something around that size), QE 74%

bad points - newton rings, get soft looking avi's (maybe my focusing or due to the pants focuser on Lunt35)

Mono ASI 174

Good points:

• Speed
  • Sensor size
  • Sensitivity.
  • Works well with Firecapture (as long as you have a fast disc sub-system, see below)

Bad points:

• Needs a SSD disc and a fast USB3 system to get the best out of it (though this will be in common with most latest generation, big sensor cameras).
  • Newtons Rings and banding. Mine is badly affected when using my Quark. A Rowan Astronomy tilt-adapter is essential for me.
  • Relatively expensive (though a lot cheaper than point Grey)
  • Sometimes losses the connection to FC. A quick shut-down of FC and yanking the USB3 lead normally recovers the situation.

ZWO ASI120mm - MT9M034(mono)

Pro's - Great fine detail, fast shutter rates especially on ROI, affordable, excellent for white light close ups as well as Ha, I have not really experienced the NRs in Ha as others seem to, it's a bit spiffy

Con's - USB2.0 only, has been outdated with the newer mm-s model and 174 

DMK41 - Sony ICX205AL

Pro's - Large sensor allows for full disc imaging on standard PST and also less panes on mosaics, low noise, great resolution

Con's - A bit old now, max 15fps

On the newton ring issue both the above cameras do experience them to a degree and certainly once a barlow has been added it is far more noticeable, the DMK for me is worse.

That said using both cameras natively I think I have had NRs maybe once, twice for good measure. If they are noticeable on screen then they never are after stacking, my theory is my bodgy set up allows enough movement for them to be cancelled out.

Some say it varies from camera to camera, that may or may not be true but I'd like to  use a supposedly bad camera for NRs in my rig to test it out.  I think it's more to do with the whole set up personally.

I use both camera regularly and find the fast frame rate and sensitivity of the ASI more suited to surface detail shots and generally use it for single panels and proms whereas now I use the DMK for mosaics.

Philips SPC900NC with an ICX098BL mono sensor fitted.

Good points : Cheap 

Captures at up to 30fps as opp to the 10fps for the colour version.

Bad point :     It doesn't have a Lunt Ha 'scope or Quark stuck on the front of it ...  :rolleyes:

Canon 1000D  with 10.1 Mp  (22.2 x 14.8mm APS-C) CMOS sensor

Good points : Has the DIGIC III processor that works much better for whitelight imaging than the "better" DIGIC IV in the "better" 1100D ...  :p

( Can't tell you why though , even Canon's techies couldn't answer me that one , but extensive playing with both camera's led me to send the 1100D back and buy two more 1000D's )

Come to think of it, I have also imaged in H-alpha with a DMK21AU618 (Sony ICX 618) and an ASI130MM (MICRON MT9M001).

The DMK has the advantage of good sensitivity (QE=68%), low noise, but the drawback is the small size. Newton rings rarely show (may be related to small size too)

The ASI130MM has a rather noisy sensor, quite prone to Newton rings. The noise has a peculiar pattern, and using darks (!) and flats the pattern noise can be tamed. Sensitivity is quite good (QE=55%), as is the sensor size.

Which Blackfly model is that?  I have one sitting on my desk at the moment but I don't think the sensor is big enough for a full disc solar shot on my PST, let alone the 60mm Lunt.

I don't understand Point Grey's naming scheme, I have to admit.  They seem to fit all sorts of different sensors and have different connectivity options and call them all the same.  I really can't work out what the fundamental difference between the Blackfly and the Flea3 is, for instance.

James

Yeah, I was tempted to look to pick one up used a while back for testing with oacapture, but decided in the end there probably wasn't much point.  If anyone ever complains that it doesn't work I'll deal with it then.  Somehow I think it's unlikely.

James

I use the DMK21AU618 and an ASI120MM.

The DMK is very sensitive, has low noise, also I have never had newton's rings. The downside is a small size chip. Easy to use on a PST a little more difficult on my Lunt 50mm.

The ASI120MM is very prone to Newton rings. The sensor size is very good, as are the frame rates. Easy to use on both the PST and Lunt 50mm.

its with the 249 chip 1920 x 1200

I think its about 40fps full res

I can get 45fps @1100 x 1100 which gives me full disc withe 60mm and can get 500 frames in just over 12 secs which is about all I have been using and then stacking 50% to 75 % for most of my recent images

I am expecting a bit more when jupiter comes round

I have a DMK 31 as well which is good but needs 4 panes to get full disc IIRC and is a bit noiser and slower but is still a good cam

Well I use a QHY5-II Mono with an APTIMA CMOS Sensor MT9M001.

The Good:

Small

Light

Good size sensor (0.5 inch)

Captures @ 30FPS even when using full 1280 x 1024 res

No Newton rings when combined with PST or Evostar 120 for Ca-K / WL

Works with EZPlanetary / Fire Capture / SharpCap / OACapture

The Bad:

Suffers from Newton rings when combined with my PST and barlow(s).

Which Blackfly model is that?  I have one sitting on my desk at the moment but I don't think the sensor is big enough for a full disc solar shot on my PST, let alone the 60mm Lunt.

I don't understand Point Grey's naming scheme, I have to admit.  They seem to fit all sorts of different sensors and have different connectivity options and call them all the same.  I really can't work out what the fundamental difference between the Blackfly and the Flea3 is, for instance.

James

See if you can make sense of this James  :grin:

Dave

post-21198-0-06577700-1443121270.png

PG BFly ICX692 1280X720 mono 1/3 4.08nm Gige used in Quark.

Cons: needs seperate power supply, cat6 cable and gige configurator.

Skyris 274 ICX274 1600X1200 mono 1/2 4,40nm USB3

Cons: 20fps fixed frame rate 

Pros: Gets full disc in LS60DS but may flog it and get another PG BFly 249 as per Steves except USB3, the only reason I got Gige was because originally  the PG USB drivers were a bit flakey.

PG prices are a bit lower lately, probably just an exchange rate thing.

Dave

ASI174 for Quark, white light

Good points: wide FoV, very few Newton Rings, larger pixel size suits the focal length.

Bad points: Slightly too wide with a 0.5FR and a Quark, ROI works but is slower than capturing at full frame*.  Pixel size too big for my Lunt 60.

ASI120MM-S for Lunt 60

Good points: smaller pixels suit my focal length, fast captures, very few Newton rings

Bad points: Too small FoV for a Quark

DMK41

Good points: far less Netwon Rings, but when they do appear harder to get rid of.

Bad points: slow in comparison to an ASI120, ASI174.

If I had to take only one camera for all solar then it would be the ASI174.

*ASI174 with ROI.  If I take in 1200x1200 then the frames written to my SSID take longer and lag behind the capture than if I take at full resolution.  I suspect that the PC has to do more processing.  It's not a show stopper, FC seems to buffer quite well, but if I do a mosaic, I often have to wait a few seconds before pressing the 'go button' again until the last run is saved, this is after re-centering the mount.  My PC and SSID is fast, so it is definately a processing issue.

Robin

Archived