Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar imaging camera research

Montana

Makes it sound as though (at least some of) the ASI cameras do ROI in software rather than on the camera, which is quite odd given that I seem to get higher frame rates when using smaller frames which would otherwise suggest that less bandwidth is required per frame on the USB bus.

I'll have to have a play about with the camera and see what I can find.

James

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you put in an arbitary ROI then I suspect that the camera defaults to the nearest standard ROI and strips the rest out in Firecature.  I can certainly get higher frames rates with some of the standard ROIs so there must be less data going through the USB.

Of course, it could be that if it has to send part of a line, it has to send the whole line and strip the bits it doesn't need in FC.

I know when I have been imaging planets, I sometimes reduce the ROI to save disc space, but the frame rate doesn't increase, even though the exposure is short enough.

So James, I think you are right ROI is done in the camera, up to a point with some parts of the data stripped in FC.

Robin

Archived