Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 - reprocessed

alan4908

Since it's been rather wet and cloudy recently....a reprocessed attempt using the data from my second attempt at M31.....  I was trying to bring out the M31 dust lane colours/details which I found challenging to say the least. If nothing else I've learnt a lot about the LAB colour space in Photoshop. I've also come to the conclusion that post processing an image is probably the most difficult part of imaging.

LIGHTS: 42 x 300s at -20C. DARKS: 30; FLATS: 40; BIAS: 50.

Alan

post-46752-0-26212400-1442509796_thumb.j

That's an incredible image! if you wanted to improve it, though, some bright patches have a little greeny tinge and perhaps the blue could be boosted. But the blue is probs personal preference. :)

Very nice image. I love M31 as much as my cat- she is helping me type!

My cat doesn't help me type any more, she got spooked by the computer waking up whenever she stood on the keyboard.

Thanks for all your repiles. 

I find it amazing the amount of detail that you can extract during post processing.... if you know what you are doing. So, given that my post processing abilities are a bit hit and miss at the moment, my conclusion is that I need more practice   :rolleyes:

Alan

Thanks for all your repiles. 

I find it amazing the amount of detail that you can extract during post processing.... if you know what you are doing. So, given that my post processing abilities are a bit hit and miss at the moment, my conclusion is that I need more practice   :rolleyes:

Alan

Indeed, post-processing makes a huge difference to images. Aren't computers lovely! (If a little annoying)

Nice one... no imaging for a week or so for me so thought I would take your lead and have a go with LAB colour (thanks for sharing that, i've never heard of it till now) and also high pass sharpening with an M31 I did earlier!

I agree processing is the hardest part but so rewarding when when you tease some nice detail or colour out...

post-35654-0-26490800-1442603421_thumb.j

P.S Yours is much better....

Hi Alex

Thanks for your comments. 

On your suggestion, that's interesting. I'm currently following a LLRGB workflow which takes a One Shot Colour image and very early on splits the image into Luminescence (gray scale) and RGB components  I then do all my sharpening/noise reduction on the Luminescence layer and all my colour boosting/blurring on the RGB layer (which I also convert into LAB mode for part of the process). The Luminosity is brought back in two steps (hence the two L's) to create the final image. I haven't tried your suggestion of changing the blending mode to colour - I will try it !

Alan 

yeah, I follow a very similar workflow - splitting a debayered image into L and RGB and separately processing those, before recombining later on.

The blending mode to colour is doing exactly that, it nominates the layer with the colour blending mode as being a chrominance layer and uses the luminance from what's underneath.

Hi All

if you want to find out more about LLRGB processing, which includes how to split a one shot colour into Luminesence and RGB... then I'd suggest you have a look at this video tutorial from Scott Rosen. Be warned it is over 1 hour long.....  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

Alan 

• 1 month later...

Very nice image Alan.  I am just beginning my journey into Post Processing.  (I'm sure you feel my pain!  haha).  Very interesting discussion here.  PhotoShop seems to be the go-to program for this.  Someone suggested I try GIMP since the price is right.  Has anyone used this program and what do you think?

Hi Tim - thanks for the comment.

I cannot really comment on GIMP since I haven't tried it. 

Basically, I went down the Photoshop route since it is widely used by lots of eminent astrophotographers. I concluded that it must be OK or they wouldn't be using it !  I also like the fact that a comprehensive "library" of astronomical plugin's and actions have been created for Photoshop - some of these are very good at improving image quality (eg take a look at GradientXterminator by Russell Corman (http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/GradientXTerminator/) and Noel Carboni's actions (http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html). So, from my perspective I would definitely recommend Photoshop for post processing.

Good luck on your post processing journey...

Alan

Archived