Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello Stargazers Lounge

Joe_Dinsdale

Hi everyone :)

I have been interested in astronomy nearly all of my life. But only started to make it a hobby for the last 5 years. When i was young i wanted to be an Astronaut and go to the moon. But as i grew up i learned that was not going to happen and i just made do with watching some documentary's. Then in 2011 thanks to BBC's Stargazing Live i really took a bigger interest in astronomy. By the second episode i had order my first telescope it was a really cheap one off amazon for around £60 ($92). With it a got a book, a moon filter and a star chart.

Rather quickly i knew i was really enjoying this hobby i sold my small telescope to buy a larger one. I ended up by a 12" dob. I loved the views i was getting from it but after a year with it i found my self using it less and less, and i realized it was because i was struggling to move it around on my own as it was big and heavy. So i ended up selling that one and buying the telescope i have now. a Celestron Nexstar 6 SE.

So with this new computerized telescope i was loving it. i was out every night, providing it was clear. I purchased my self some accessory's for it. I have a range of eyepieces and filters, with a filter wheel to keep my most used ones in.

But over the last year and a half i have not used my telescope much and i don't know why. So now i want to kick start my passion again and i decided to look to join an online community and i found this place. I hope to meet lots of new people on here to discuses all the wonders of space.

So hi everyone im Joe and im observing from the UK, West Yorkshire. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Joe and welcome to SGL! You have come to the right place for some friendly help and advice.

If you ever want to pop along to a local astronomical group, depending where you are in a West Yorkshire, there are a few to choose from including WADAS (Wakefield), WYAS (Pontefract) and Huddersfield to name a couple.

Clear skies! :)

hi  Joe and welcome from charl in south wales/

Thanks for the welcome. I was in Wales for a holiday in February. I stayed in a place out the way in the middle of no where. When it got dark i could not believe how many starts i could see. Really wished i had taken my telescope.

Hi Joe and welcome to SGL! You have come to the right place for some friendly help and advice.

If you ever want to pop along to a local astronomical group, depending where you are in a West Yorkshire, there are a few to choose from including WADAS (Wakefield), WYAS (Pontefract) and Huddersfield to name a couple.

Clear skies! :)

Thanks for the welcome. I live between Wakefield and Huddersfield. Back in 2012 i visited the in Huddersfield a thew of times, i even took their beginners course.

But after i had finished the course i had to go to hospital, nothing bad. But after that i had not returned to the club, i should really try and go back. I also have a work friend who has been to the one in Wakefield a couple of times and he has recommend that one to me.

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that scope in your hand? (Bet it's not the first time the Henrix line has been thrown your way, in one form or another!)

All that matters is that you have fun and enjoy what you're doing. Don't beat yourself up about not getting the scope out ... you will again.

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that scope in your hand? (Bet it's not the first time the Henrix line has been thrown your way, in one form or another!)

All that matters is that you have fun and enjoy what you're doing. Don't beat yourself up about not getting the scope out ... you will again.

Thanks for the welcome and yes im sure i will get my telescope out again. its hard finding the time especially with having to get up for work the next morning :)

Thanks for the welcome. I live between Wakefield and Huddersfield. Back in 2012 i visited the in Huddersfield a thew of times, i even took their beginners course.

But after i had finished the course i had to go to hospital, nothing bad. But after that i had not returned to the club, i should really try and go back. I also have a work friend who has been to the one in Wakefield a couple of times and he has recommend that one to me.

Hi Joe, I may know your work colleague if he has been to the a Wakefield club, as I don't think I've missed a meeting since last summer when I joined. Our meetings start back next Thursday 17th September at Horbury Academy. Check the website for more details.

I have an astro-buddy who is a member over at Huddrsfield, and they seem a great bunch too.

Being in a society is really good as you'll find most people are really helpful and more than willing to share their knowledge and help newcomers. You'll also find that there is a good social side to the clubs too :)

Hello Joe and welcome to SGL!!

Hi Joe, welcome.

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum

Clear skies

Greetings and welcome aboard, Joe! We don't bite, and we love questions pertaining to all-things-astronomy. So pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

Clear skies,

Dave

Hi Joe and welcome. I'm not too far away from you in south Yorkshire.

Tony.

Hi Joe and welcome to SGL, great intro!

Cheers

Thank you all for the warm welcomes :) 

Hi Joe, I may know your work colleague if he has been to the a Wakefield club, as I don't think I've missed a meeting since last summer when I joined. Our meetings start back next Thursday 17th September at Horbury Academy. Check the website for more details.

I have an astro-buddy who is a member over at Huddrsfield, and they seem a great bunch too.

Being in a society is really good as you'll find most people are really helpful and more than willing to share their knowledge and help newcomers. You'll also find that there is a good social side to the clubs too :)

You may know him, but he has only been a handful of times. I will have to see if i can find the time to join on of the meetings :)

Archived