SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The complete Veil complex in mono

swag72

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a definitive Ha image of the complex. I've spent many hours footling around in the Veil and you've got the lot in my view. That faint filament across the top, the 'second broom' etc etc. It's all there.

Rubbish, eh, those Kodak chips! Look at the numbers on QE and response at this or that wavelength. Write at length on how they are no good. Well you could do that - or you could look at this picture and wise up...

Olly

You certainly won't see that ....... I have stopped posting on AB ...... But glad that you like it A.G .... Thanks :)

Oh Chris, I have such a tale of woe.......... nothing to do with QSI, they were superb....... they changed the sensor and all the bits of the camera for nothing after all. Their customer service was good..... It was just the whole getting it to the US experience amongst other things that left me feeling a little p'eed off at times.

Thanks Gareth - Many thanks :)

I am sorry that you have decided not to post in AB but as long as I can gaze at your work over here I am happy.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks very much folks for your kind words - I'm glad that you like it. I do have plans for a bi colour, but the weather is really conspiring against me at the moment.

Another example Olly of real world examples over theory and paper - Added to this the image scale of this set-up and on paper it shouldn't work particularly well......... You know that I'm all for debunking theory :)

Stunning image. Just in the process of capturing this ourselves with the Tak 85 and reducer- not sure we'll get a result as good as yours though!

Thanks! I'm sure that your data - ergo your image will be just as good - I look forward to seeing it. I need two more complete nights to collect the rest of my data - Time is not on my side and the weather is cloudy :(

Very nice widefield, you caught all the small filaments too! May I suggest you tweak the black point a bit, the background

seems a bit too bright on my monitor.

The KAF8300 is a great chip, but only if it is cooled sufficiently (otherwise it gets very noisy). What max delta T can you get? Do you have dual stage peltier cooling in your camera?

Best regards,

Pieter

Great work Sara and a first class image. Regarding the black point as mentioned by Pieter, this is something I always find very tricky due to the various monitors displaying blacks quite differently. Some will show the background much brighter than others. If it was clipped or something then sure that would stand out on almost any screen but certainly for me it looks as though you have it just about right.

Pete

Thanks very much Pieter and Peter - I will check the background next time I process it as I'm collecting more Ha. I only use -15 degrees as this means that I can reach this temperature all year round out here in Spain without pushing the cooling too much. I have no idea if it's a dual stage peltier - It's whatever QSI put into their camera!!

Thanks Barry :)

@Dave - The cooling on the QSI is excellent - I managed to get it to -15 degrees when the ambient temperature was about 30 defgrees doing my darks and it was still only using 70% power. The cooling is excellent for sure - Beats the Atik hands down.

Archived