Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

swag72

The complete Veil complex in mono

Having returned my QSI690 for the now accepted Sony Glow issue, they kindly agreed to swap out my sensor and put a Kodak 8300 in the camera. I have known for some time that I made a mistake with the smaller chip, so I have been eagerly awaiting a first light with the 683.

Firstly, all the guff about the noisy chip etc is just that ....... everything calibrated out perfectly. As for the reduced QE in Ha with the Kodak chip, well all I can say is that take a look and decide for yourself whether this is an image showing a poor Ha QE. Also this has debunked any concerns of image scale and 1.25" filters.

This is a 2 pane mosaic of the area - I know that the Sony would have taken at least 4 panes.

Details:

M: Avalon lInear Fast reverse

T: Takashashi FSQ85 with 0.73x reducer giving an image scale of 3.39"

C: QSI683 with 1.25" 3nm Ha filter

16x1800s in total - 8 in pane 1 and 8 in pane 2

20484144072_7f4757a9ee_c.jpg

The complete Veil nebula complex (NGC6960) in mono by Sara Wager, on Flickr

• Like 39

Looks great !!!!

And shows the relevance or utter lack of it the theory crafting has.

Somehow I knew who posted this as soon as I'd read the title :D

A lovely image, Sara.  I think it may be the first time I've ever seen the entire thing in one go.

James

Stunning - Congratulations.  Will you be adding some colour?

What a lovely image. Lots of interesting detail to mull over. Thanks very much for posting.

Perfect Sara. I love all the fine filaments, beautiful to see it all in one!

Fay

• Like 1

Excellent image Sara, so pleased you're pleased as I'm waiting on QSI683 from Ian King, any day now hopefully :)

Dave

Thanks Chris, Mark, Fay and Dave..... Much appreciated :)

I'm sure you'll love the 683 Dave :D

Stunning image Sara. Thinking about getting myself a 8300 based camera, so glad to see such an impressive result. Well done

Thanks Neil and Gerry - Glad that you like it :)

Just go for the 8300 sensor and don't be put off by the folks who say that they are old and noisy - I stuck with Sony for over a year as I believed everything that I read and thought that 8300 would be just too much to handle - It's fantastic :D

• Like 1

One amazing image.I don't think I have seen a better mosaic of this area.

H-Alpha does really have a beauty of its own.

Gorgeous.

Mick.

As I've already stated, a beautiful image Sara! I think the 8300 sensor is awesome. I have it in the 583 and I've never had any issues with it, plus it's huge and has a wonderful field of view...as you've discovered.

Looking forward to seeing your version in colour too!

Phil

Very nice, Sara! You're clearly smitten with the 683  :smiley:

Out of interest, what was the turnaround time on getting your 690 'fixed'? I've seen the 'glow' on my 690 and might be tempted to get it repaired. Shame it has to go all the way back the the US.

Regards

John

Thanks Mick, Phil, John and Bob - Much appreciated  :)

@John - The turnaround on the 690 was about 5 weeks - 8 days of which was stuck in US customs.

I have to say that this experience, and there's quite a story overall, has really made me question whether I will ever buy a high end item from the US again. 

This is awesome Sara, the FOV, depth and level of detail is unbelievable. I can see the beginning of another image of the day at Astrobin.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks Mick, Phil, John and Bob - Much appreciated   :)

@John - The turnaround on the 690 was about 5 weeks - 8 days of which was stuck in US customs.

I have to say that this experience, and there's quite a story overall, has really made me question whether I will ever buy a high end item from the US again. 

That always worried me when I was considering a new mount and camera, and is the main reason why I avoided USA made stuff. Having said that I'm still waiting for the new camera to arrive after about 3 weeks (I think it is now) so maybe you just can't win!

ChrisH

Stunning image Sarah

The bar just got raised a lot higher.

:)

Gareth

......I can see the beginning of another image of the day at Astrobin.

You certainly won't see that ....... I have stopped posting on AB ...... But glad that you like it A.G .... Thanks :)

Oh Chris, I have such a tale of woe.......... nothing to do with QSI, they were superb....... they changed the sensor and all the bits of the camera for nothing after all. Their customer service was good..... It was just the whole getting it to the US experience amongst other things that left me feeling a little p'eed off at times.

Thanks Gareth - Many thanks :)

Edited by swag72

BEAUT im afraid thats all i can say really well done Sara your usual high quality stuff .