Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BBC 4 tonight.

DazC

BBC 4 is looking good tonight from 21:00 .

Programme on Mars followed by S@N Pluto special, followed by how big is the universe?

I guess I'll have to go and watch them upstairs out of the way.

D.C

I enjoyed the Sky at Night program but again I was puzzled "what is that scope used by Pete Lawrence" It looked like a 130PDS but its an F3.3  anyone know?

Alan

Would it not have just been a 130PDS with a reducer in it, thus making it f/3.3 ?

I enjoyed the Sky at Night program but again I was puzzled "what is that scope used by Pete Lawrence" It looked like a 130PDS but its an F3.3  anyone know?

Alan

It was a Takahashi Epsilon E130 Astrograph.

S@N was fascinating enough, but I was getting motion sickness from the camera work...

Couldn't agree more. I found the camera work a constant distraction from the fascinating content. A real shame - the director really needs to rethink his approach.

Couldn't agree more. I found the camera work a constant distraction from the fascinating content. A real shame - the director really needs to rethink his approach.

Very distracting, bad enough watching with the presenters catching the over the top enthusiastic American bug, the director is probably just putting into practice what he / she learnt at media college.

Enjoyed the SPM, Clyde Tombaugh snippets.

Dave

Very distracting, bad enough watching with the presenters catching the over the top enthusiastic American bug, the director is probably just putting into practice what he / she learnt at media college.

Enjoyed the SPM, Clyde Tombaugh snippets.

Dave

I'm curious as to how one can be over enthusiustic about this mission? After the moon landings, this has to be one of the greatest achievements in space exploration to date..... if I was working on this mission, I'd be catatonic. Now if you were to complain about them (the yanks) banging on about it being a great achievement by an even greater nation, then i'd agree (unless they concider finding scientists/engineers from all over the globe a great achievement?). That said, it has certainly changed our view of the solar system and we will forever be the last generations to wonder what Pluto is like. I think the best is still to come, and for me, thats pretty exciting :)

I'm curious as to how one can be over enthusiustic about this mission? After the moon landings, this has to be one of the greatest achievements in space exploration to date..... if I was working on this mission, I'd be catatonic. Now if you were to complain about them (the yanks) banging on about it being a great achievement by an even greater nation, then i'd agree (unless they concider finding scientists/engineers from all over the globe a great achievement?). That said, it has certainly changed our view of the solar system and we will forever be the last generations to wonder what Pluto is like. I think the best is still to come, and for me, thats pretty exciting :)

nicely put scott :smiley:

An interesting prog it was with some good ideas (ie: assembly of the craft in orbit, rather that trying to send it all up in one go). And the fact that it would have to be an international effort from as many countries as possible (eg: NASA/ESA/China/Russia/India/Japan), so its an effort for mankind rather than that of just one ideology (very star trek!).

Still no way of getting back though, how would they escape the gravity of Mars?

Absolutely with Auspom.

The near religious fervour over a new Apple Store opening....ick. Double ick...

But applause and, yes, *joy* (possibly even dancing :) ) over sending a minute craft billions of miles to Pluto and have the years-long mission succeed - how on Earth ( or off of it ) can that be OTT?

What if it were 1969?

'A human walked on the Moon? That's nice. I hear Debenhams are having a sale...'

:D

Great programme. GREAT mission. Next up, Kuiper Belt...wow.

Archived