Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

The excessive display of TOD (Takahashi Obsessive Disorder) in this thread is giving my wallet the heebie-jeebies.

I am not sure how much longer I can resist joining the club, despite the 1980s olive green bathroom styling of their OTAs :rolleyes2:

• Like 3

It's interesting - in the past on the forum (I've been a member for around a decade now) I can't recall Takahashi gear getting mentioned all that much. Now there seems to be loads on show. Have our pockets got deeper or perhaps or have these things become more accessible ?

• Like 1

That's interesting, John. I've only been active here a couple of years and Taks seem to have been on the top end list throughout that time.

Something else that I have noticed, mainly from eyepiece threads, is the premium that is now attributed to Japanese optics since the Tsunami wiped out some of their production capability.

Is the Japan-is-best fetish weaving its way into the desire to own Taks?

Random thoughts, please don't shoot me!

1 hour ago, John said:

It's interesting - in the past on the forum (I've been a member for around a decade now) I can't recall Takahashi gear getting mentioned all that much. Now there seems to be loads on show. Have our pockets got deeper or perhaps or have these things become more accessible ?

That is interesting, however don't forget that while I may post about my Taks now, I actually bought them 17 years ago. But even without mine in that equation it's still an interesting point, also don't forget that we tend to remember things that we have interest in. So maybe your ideas of which scope interests you during the last ten years is the thing that's actually changed.  Memory can be selective like that, what I'm getting at is maybe Takahashi gear has always been consistently mentioned however you haven't been consistently interested in it to remember? Or maybe you have and you are correct, who knows?

1 hour ago, DRT said:

That's interesting, John. I've only been active here a couple of years and Taks seem to have been on the top end list throughout that time.

Something else that I have noticed, mainly from eyepiece threads, is the premium that is now attributed to Japanese optics since the Tsunami wiped out some of their production capability.

Is the Japan-is-best fetish weaving its way into the desire to own Taks?

Random thoughts, please don't shoot me!

It's possible, but when I bought my Tak's 17 years ago, they were just as desirable then as now.  Ever since they've been on the scene they've been on the top end. I started in astronomy in '91 and BC&F (the longest running Telescope dealer in the UK) always sung their praises.  Of course that is from a Telescope perspective, not necessary an EP perspective.  Although I can confirm their EP's are of great quality as well having acquired a handful around the same time as the scopes.

I've been aware of Takahashi and Astro Physics as top end brands for the 30+ years I've been in the hobby but I didn't see them discussed much on this forum in the past. On Cloudynights, all the time of course.

It's interesting when they are discussed by owners of course because they move from "mythical beasts" to real items with pros and even a few cons, like all equipment.

Was it Kelling that used to have the "Takahashi Alley" section ?. I was never sure whether that was a good thing or not :icon_scratch:

Edited by John

7 hours ago, John said:

I've been aware of Takahashi and Astro Physics as top end brands for the 30+ years I've been in the hobby but I didn't see them discussed much on this forum in the past. On Cloudynights, all the time of course.

It's interesting when they are discussed by owners of course because they move from "mythical beasts" to real items with pros and even a few cons, like all equipment.

Was it Kelling that used to have the "Takahashi Alley" section ?. I was never sure whether that was a good thing or not :icon_scratch:

I can believe the Takahashi Alley section existed but I doubt its a good idea. Tak's don't shine against each other as they are all superb. The only way to see the difference in performance is to put them up against other scopes on a good night. Today though, the gap between high end refractors such as ED, fluorite doublets and ED triplets is getting narrower all the time. Not long ago an achromat would cost £100 per inch and an apochromat £1000 per inch. Now with the influx of excellent ED's from China, even price is no longer an indication of excellence. We're  really spoiled for choice and should just use whatever we have to the full. (But id still rather have a Tak!) :evil4:

Mike

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonshane said:

:headbang:

Hoping it will allow me some Ha action on hols - can tuck it in my caravan/case no problem :icon_biggrin:

make sure you do a thread on the mod shane, I am interested in making a HA scope myself :thumbsup:

A new Refractor to the Colection first light today and must say a def upgrade to the PST I used to own 

also last night First light on the Altair Jupiter was a lovely sight best view since I had the Vixen Atlux

no false colour used the 7mm luminos and lovely surface detail moons were disk shaped .

image.jpeg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, John said:

My little Vixen ED102SS has been posted on this thread before but it's proudly showing off the Lunt Solar Wedge in this shot :icon_biggrin:

P1020848.JPG

Looking good with the Moonlite too John ??

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Piero said:

Plus 1 for the lunt! I'll back it up!

(Little brother of course!)

IMG_20160417_120515~3.jpg

Looks like a better spot for birding rather than solar observing Piero ??

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks like a better spot for birding rather than solar observing Piero ??

Actually, I have to say that for birding it works darn well! I am not into that hobby, but last year in March during civil twilight a small storm of birds flew in the direction I was pointing. With the 24 Pan, the view of 4.3 deg of fov was really beautiful! I followed them until they were visible. :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

My little Vixen ED102SS has been posted on this thread before but it's proudly showing off the Lunt Solar Wedge in this shot :icon_biggrin:

P1020848.JPG

Thats a particularly nice looking Lunt Herschel Wedge gracing that equally nice looking telescope John. :headbang:

Mike

• Like 1