Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Looks great! Where did you source the T-Rex?

7 hours ago, Paul73 said:

From memory. I believe that Telscope House list them. Hope that you are feeling rich!!!

Paul

Nope - Widescreen Centre. It's an ex display model (although judging by the paintwork it's been in their Afghanistan branch) but mechanically it's good and it was a lot cheaper than a brand new one. I think they've a white one still. 

I think I might take it to be powder coated or resprayed in the summer, but it works beautifully and that's what matters. 

Derek, you've done the Skylight the justice it deserves, and I'm very pleased with the home it has found. The whole setup looks stunning mate! :)

Also, congrats and the 6" Altair, it looks like a well made beast!

how many fracs are you back upto now? ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

Derek, you've done the Skylight the justice it deserves, and I'm very pleased with the home it has found. The whole setup looks stunning mate! :)

Also, congrats and the 6" Altair, it looks like a well made beast!

how many fracs are you back upto now? ;)

I'm glad to hear you are pleased, Chris. I did promise to take good care of it :grin:

I think my frac reduction policy is still working. I now only have the Altair 152, SW ED120, Altair ED72, TV Pronto ED70, Skylight 60, Polarex-Unitron 60 and Lunt 50Ha - which is only six! That's a significant reduction from the quite ridiculous seven I used to have before I invoked my refractor austerity policy :wink:

Now that I see them listed out I realise that I don't have a 4" refractor. What should I do? :confused:

Would a Tal 100 be such a bad idea?

Edited by DRT
  • Like 2

There were a couple of Tal's briefly on Astroboot the other day. One was just £85, but the objective lens had a network of swirling micro scratches on the objective lens like someone had cleaned it with the scouring pad. Poor thing :( 

8 hours ago, DRT said:

I'm glad to hear you are pleased, Chris. I did promise to take good care of it :grin:

I think my frac reduction policy is still working. I now only have the Altair 152, SW ED120, Altair ED72, TV Pronto ED70, Skylight 60, Polarex-Unitron 60 and Lunt 50Ha - which is only six! That's a significant reduction from the quite ridiculous seven I used to have before I invoked my refractor austerity policy :wink:

Now that I see them listed out I realise that I don't have a 4" refractor. What should I do? :confused:

Would a Tal 100 be such a bad idea?

Didn't you sell the 102 f11 Derek? I doubt the TAL would be better than that.... I've always fancied one of the f11s

45 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

There were a couple of Tal's briefly on Astroboot the other day. One was just £85, but the objective lens had a network of swirling micro scratches on the objective lens like someone had cleaned it with the scouring pad. Poor thing :( 

Seriously considered buying it but alas it was snapped up...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Didn't you sell the 102 f11 Derek? I doubt the TAL would be better than that.... I've always fancied one of the f11s

I did, Stu, and have regretted it ever since. Luckily, I managed to secure a good amount of spoiling myself money from my annual bonus so have decided to order a new one to fill the gap :grin:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DRT said:

I did, Stu, and have regretted it ever since. Luckily, I managed to secure a good amount of spoiling myself money from my annual bonus so have decided to order a new one to fill the gap :grin:

Good plan! No need for the TAL now then.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Good plan! No need for the TAL now then.

I might buy a second hand Tal one day just to see what all the fuss is about but I must say I'm not overly attracted to them. A bit too agricultural for my taste.

...oh, and in a moment of weakness I might have also ordered the Panoptic 27mm and 35mm from TH :rolleyes2: 

17 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Wow! that really is some terrible block work you've got going on in the background there. 
Sorry couldn't help but notice being a brickie :D 

it is not something I had any control over,

whoever built the house is responsible for that (alleged professionals) :icon_biggrin:, at the other side of that garage wall is my kitchen :eek:

Regards
James

Wasn't implying you had anything to do with it James,  it's just something I can't help but notice after spending so many years staring at walls :D It is shocking what some 'professionals' get away with.

Anyway back on topic. I'll let you guys show off some more of your old  rain water pipes :evil: :evil62:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, alacant said:

Tonight: the planetary in M46 or bust...m46.thumb.jpg.b485ae79f0112a1cc706fa7470

That's a great looking trolly for the tripod. Just a shame I have a few steps up into my garden from the house otherwise I'd Have a go at one of those myself.

Gav

Here's my newly acquired Opticstar AR90S.... A nifty little 90mm f5.6 achro set up as a wide field companion to my skyliner on my skytee.

Im actually quite impressed with this little Frac. I bought it purely ft widefield viewing with my ES68 34mm EP giving a 4.5 degree TFoV (and also to use as an airline portable travel scope) but I've jest been out checking it out on Jupiter with my 6.5mm Morpheus and it shows a good deal of detail, there's also plenty of CA as expected but not so much as to detract from the detail I feel. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Some lovely refractors in this thread :icon_biggrin:

And of course true frac fans will not have missed a certain scope that has been listed on e.bay today (not by me) :wink:

Edited by John