NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

56ºC & Climbing :-)

Qualia

It's another one of those May days when the Sun shines, where it's summer in the shade and feverish in the light :smiley: As promised the Sun today has truely arrived in all its splendour.

After sketching and observing the Sun this morning (woken up early by the visiting in-laws :undecided:), I took a couple of snap shots of the rising temperature. As can be seen, in the space of a mere 120 seconds it rose from 54ºC to 56ºC and as anyone who's ever been to the east of Spain appreciates, midday is still the morning Sun and temperatures will continue to rise reaching their peak somewhere between 14:00 hrs  and 16:00 hrs. I imagine before the end of the day, we'll be witnessing 60ºC and more. The temperature to the right is what's it's like in doors, in the shade :cool2:

Today is well and truely scoooorchio :cheesy:

Not wanting to disappoint the Sun has also had the decency to put on a rather fetching display in h-alpha with fountains of plasma pouring into space and gorgeous and very detailed active regions and sunspots bridging across the disc. 

post-21324-0-16156400-1431600613_thumb.j

post-21324-0-59275300-1431600687_thumb.j

post-21324-0-35092000-1431600813_thumb.j

post-21324-0-78222900-1431601049_thumb.j

It's another one of those May days when the Sun shines, where it's summer in the shade and feverish in the light :smiley: As promised the Sun today has truely arrived in all its splendour.

After sketching and observing the Sun this morning (woken up early by the visiting in-laws :undecided:), I took a couple of snap shots of the rising temperature. As can be seen, in the space of a mere 120 seconds it rose from 54ºC to 56ºC and as anyone who's ever been to the east of Spain appreciates, midday is still the morning Sun and temperatures will continue to rise reaching their peak somewhere between 14:00 hrs  and 16:00 hrs. I imagine before the end of the day, we'll be witnessing 60ºC and more. The temperature to the right is what's it's like in doors, in the shade :cool2:

Today is well and truely scoooorchio :cheesy:

Not wanting to disappoint the Sun has also had the decency to put on a rather fetching display in h-alpha with fountains of plasma pouring into space and gorgeous and very detailed active regions and sunspots bridging across the disc. 

attachicon.gif54ºC 12.10.JPG

attachicon.gif55ºC 12.13.JPG

attachicon.gif56ºC 12.17.JPG

attachicon.gifScope 2.JPG

what a lovely observing site rob. how lucky are you

Already been to the beach. :D

The med still isn't that warm.

It's a holiday here for my wife's work but not in Spain so we took the chance to go to the bank and paddle at the beach for a little bit.

Now we are home and settling down for a relaxing afternoon, the sky is full of Saharan dust and light cloud so that plus with  the heat any observing is shot by now.

The pool was cleaned yesterday though so I might attempt the first dip for the year a bit later.

36C in the shade is desperately and unpleasantly hot as far as I'm concerned.  Except for the late evenings I'm into shorts and t-shirt already and it's barely scraping mid-teens here.

James

I agree, James but over time the body does acclimatize and one literally feels the heat (or cold) less.

Dave, the Sun put on a show of quite large hedgerows, surges and sprays this morning whilst the plage and sunspot regions across the sun are still quite bright and prominent. I've cut and pasted the sketch from the above photo so as to give a general indication of what is going on. Fingers crossed for you and Stu and Spaceboy tomorrow.

post-21324-0-60410200-1431646934_thumb.j

Ghostdance, you probably know this already but Spain is the second most mountainous country in Europe. Quite literally, you could be skiing one morning and the very next sun-bathing on the beach. The area I live is no different. Basically I reside in a relatively humid valley set between large hills or small mountains running through on either side.

Far from being perfect, the valley is riddled with small and quite large towns (30,000 tops), so it does suffer quite badly from light pollution. Seriously, I was really surprised to find a 'rural' area being so horrid in these terms. Fortunately, to the east and south are the mountains where no one resides, so I typically point my scope in that direction.

The hill you mentioned is called Puig and on top of it is an old castle/monestary which used to communicate with the main castle about 20 minutes away.

Here are a few pictures showing a rough idea of the area I live in:

post-21324-0-75552900-1431648621_thumb.j

post-21324-0-62162100-1431648876_thumb.j

post-21324-0-51648700-1431649545_thumb.j

36C in the shade is desperately and unpleasantly hot as far as I'm concerned.  Except for the late evenings I'm into shorts and t-shirt already and it's barely scraping mid-teens here.

James

Depends on humidity levels, here in the Lot 36C can be quite pleasant as our humidity is normally very low. Qualia/Rob has said he lives in a humid area so that can make it very uncomfortable.

Depends on humidity levels, here in the Lot 36C can be quite pleasant as our humidity is normally very low. Qualia/Rob has said he lives in a humid area so that can make it very uncomfortable.

I think I just don't enjoy being that hot regardless of the humidity.  A couple of years back we were in Royan at the start of July when it was around that sort of temperature.  I remember driving back from a restaurant at 10pm and it was still 29C.  When I get that hot even sleeping is hard work :(

James

Archived