NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Room for another?

Jurger

Hi all! I recently 'Googled' Astronomy Forum, and this forum came at the top of the results! So, I have been having a look through it and I was impressed, so I registered!

My (real) name is Marc and I live in Cumbria, I'm 27 yrs old and am currently on the 'sick' due to a 3ft X 15ft reinforced concrete panel falling on my legs at work, breaking my left femur in 7 places! I do not actually have a telescope, nor do I have access to one however, our solar system, galaxy, universe along with everything within it interests me a great deal! To be honest, I can't really see myself buying a telescope in the forseable future (running a car on what sick pay I actually get is hard enough), so I had to find a way to 'get in on the action' without spending money! So, here I am! Your stories, your pictures, your 'action' is now MY action!

Chances are you probably wont hear a great deal from me as my knowledge on Astronomy is next to nothing however, I do like to interact with others so when you do hear from me, it will probably be myself asking questions (most likely questions you all have been asked numerous times before!), but I will be reading through previous posts to try to get a better understanding of things.

Thanks for your time, and I give you all a pat on the back for a forum that not only looks great, but full of helpfull and genuine people from what I have seen to date. :sunny:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Marc. welcome to the the SGL Forums. What an awful accident to happen to you.

It seems to me objects that size and weight, don't just fall. Obviously I don't know the circumstances surrounding the accident, but I am sure you must do, and appropriate actions will be taken I assume.

Anyway, I live in Carlisle, and when you get fit and mobile again, you are welcome to have some sky time through my scopes.

Cumbria is a large County though, and you could be miles away. Anyway, the offer stands mate.

Ron. :(

Welcome to SGL. Im sorry to hear of your accident and hope you make a speedy recovery.

You dont need a scope to enjoy astronomy. A pair of binoculars is a great start and are better than a cheapo scope. Lidls do a pair of Bressers 10X50 binos for £10.

Theres also Stellarium. Its a free, easy to use planetarium.

www.stellarium.org

You dont need a scope to enjoy astronomy. A pair of binoculars is a great start and are better than a cheapo scope. Lidls do a pair of Bressers 10X50 binos for £10. Theres also Stellarium. Its a free, easy to use planetarium. www.stellarium.org

Yup - that's a nice cheap way into enjoy the hobby if you can't make it to Ron's 8) Just one more thing required - nice comfy garden recliner.

Hello and welcome Marc

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

Hi Marc and welcome to SGL. :( I hope you make a quick recovery from the injury. You don't need a telelscope to get into astronomy - just a star chart and a set of eyes is a great place to start. To enhance that there's pretty good deals on binoculars around for under 15.00 GBP.

Thanks for all the 'welcomes' guys. One thing that I dislike about binoculars is that you are never really steady enough to look at a distant object too well ( in my experience anyhow). I do however, like the idea of getting a 'sky chart' to familiarise myself with stars, constellations etc.

As for my injury. It has nearly been three months since it happened, and I should find out on Thursday whether I am allowed to start trying to walk on it without crutches. Here is an Xray of my leg after the operation.

image3.jpg

I do actually have Stellarium installed on my computer :(

My father has a pair of bino's, but we don't have a tripod of any description however, I do own an air-rifle with a 3-9X50 telescopic scope attached and it even has a bipod! Will have to settle for the bino's at the moment seen as though I am unable to carry my rifle atm!

Thanks for the offer Ron. I live at Bootle (not the one in Liverpool mind!), so I think you are about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs drive away!

Hi Marc

I must say I winced when I read about your accident. I am glad you are recovering and wish you well as you get back on your feet.

In the meantime there are a variety of things you can do. I spent an evening recently using the binoculars without a tripod while visiting a friend's house. Simply we put up garden recliner chairs and used a backpack to steady on. If you fill the pack up with towels or newspapers or something so it is soft and squishy then tuck it up to your chin as you lie down you will be amazed at how steady you can hold the binoculars. And it is considerably warmer now than when I was out (it was freezing). That old standby handbook from the irish Federation of Astronomy societies is really useful (google "irish federation binocular") for 110 objects to see with binoculars (thanks Themos).

Or check out the Heavens above website to see when the international space station or a number of other satellites are whizzing overhead - all best seen with the naked eye. Telescopes? - who needs them!

AG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi marc and welcome from another newbie, like you i dont know much want to learn amd this looks like the place, lots of advice and helpful people on this forum so gonna plod away and pick it up as i go.

nice to hear from you.

regards ron.s.g

ps hope everything works out ok with your accident

Archived