Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn

It's not best placed at the moment, rises in the south east around 11pm, if you've got a clear view in that direction you can't miss it..

Pinched this of Jodrell banks Website.. so later in the coming months looks better..

Saturn reaches opposition - that is when it be approximatly due south at midnight (UT) or 1 am (BST) - on the 23rd of May, so it will be visible for most of the hours of darkness.  The beautiful ring system has now opened out to ~24 degrees - virtually as open as they ever become.   Saturn brightens to magnitude 0.0 during the month - the brightest it has been for eight years - largely due to the fact that the ring system is now quite open. Its globe spans 18.5 arc seconds across and the ring system 42 arc seconds.

Ta

Fozzie

I had a nice view of Saturn last week. It was around 1:00 am I seem to recall and the planet is low this oppostion so takes ages to appear in a gap between a neighbours roof and a large tree in that direction. I guess I'll be getting windows of around 90 minutes observing it unless I decide to observe from somewhere other than my garden.

The rings are wide open at the moment so Cassinis Divsion and the ring structure were really well defined. On the planetary disk the equatorial belt and polar cap darkening was noticable but as ever it's so much more subtle than we get used to with Jupiter.

I think 5 moons were on show on that occasion.

If it was as high in the sky as Jupiter has been this year it would be a truly stunning Saturnian opposition but it's low altitude will add some challenges I think.

Had a quick go at imaging it last weekend at 2.30 am ! just cleared neighbours roofs so bobbing about a bit but quite nice to look at ... gazed for about 30 minutes then imaged. Well worth staying up for.

Archived