Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scopes N Skies

Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone had trouble with scopes n skies - I ordered an item a few days ago but had no confirmation of dispatch, so thought I'd ring today, and found was told that "it's going out today", which didn't impress me I must admit. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to wait for things, but just hate it when sat in "retail limbo" with my money in someone else's pocket and my order god knows where.

I was told next day on another order with another company (telescope house), and that hasn't turned up either...and before you say it, FLO didn't stock either item :(

Tel.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried calling them 5 or 6 times in December to discuss a purchase and the phone was never answered, emailed them twice too and those were never replied to.

No way would I buy off them with that sort of track record.

I bought the lightbridge and a pile of other bits and bobs from Scope and skies. I ordered them on the Monday, I got a phone call on the tuesday apologising for late delivery and everything arrived on the Wedensday.

Frankly I was delighted with them.

I've had mixed experiences too. From reading the posts on this and other forums, the problem usually lies with whether or not they have the item in stock. If they don't there's obviously delays, but from what others have said they then seem to loose the will; either that or they have a poor stock management/order system.

Cheers, Martin

I live not far from them so pop in from time to time and they've got a large well stocked showroom near Ely. The staff are friendly and helpful but it does look pretty chaotic in the office area (boxes/paperwork everywhere - I had a mod done by them/Astro Engineering and when I went to pick it up the box was being used as a temporary table!). I've never had much joy getting them to answer my emails/telephone calls either which is not good customer service.

I've not had stuff delivered by them but in person they seem fine, and as I said their showroom is large and well stocked so it's worth a visit if you're in the area.

hi,

I heard that a few people had delayed deliveries when items were not in stock, so I thought I'd phone my order through to make sure it was in stock, which it was (just one item). I was told it would be with me by the end of the week. However after one week nothing had turned up, so I called them the following Monday. "Oh it hasn't been sent for some reason", was the response, "we'll get back to you". They didn't so I called again, "oh we're still sorting it". I called again, "it's been sent now", but no reason for the delay. I thought I'd order my next item from Pulsar Optical. One week later it hadn't turned up. I called them, same old to-ing and fro-ing, not calling me back as promised. Apparently, they had sent it by 1st class parcel, but it took 5 days to get to me. Guess what, I check the receipt, they are part of the same company as scope and skies, coincidence?! Anyway, I returned this item as it wasn't as described (using their returns authorisation code and registered delivery) and 10 days later I'm still waiting for a refund. What's the chance I'm going to have to chase this?!! :( Not impressed.

Did have a problem with Scopes n Skies,item took them 5 weeks, no reason given as to why the delay,mind you thats better than getting some lame excuse which is obviously garbage like "your order was sent to Truro by mistake" i live in Thurso. I think the most annoying thing is not being told an item is out of stock,you wait a couple of weeks then e.mail asking about your order,"oh its out of stock and we're waiting for it to arrive" :x Previously didnt have any problem with them,now if possible i use Telescope House,they have never given me reason for complaint(so far). :(:D and i've had quite a number of orders from them over the years.

Just a footnote, the item from Telescope house did actually arrive today in the end, albeit quite late in the day - as it was a new Orion Right-Angled Finder, my neck will be happy :(

Although I ordered online for the item from S&S, I did telephone before I placed the order to confirm stock & was told it'd go through the same day as they had them (laser and bracket). TBH given the comments so far, I think they're just snowed under sometimes and maybe need to review their systems for getting orders out - this is just an opinion based on the anecdotes relayed so far of course.

I will post in this thread when I do get my order for completeness, and may not use them again - I'd much prefer to be emailed at order time "you won't get this for xx days as we're very busy" or words to that effect. Then I can just wait and not worry. Communication is key as always.

Yes, the problems seem to happen when suppliers are "out of stock". As someone all too familiar with labouring under a Quango "Service level agreement", I can relate. But INFORMING folk of what is happening seems to be the obvious(!) thing. Worst lack of information I ever suffered was a well know multinational telescope "manufacturer". On two occasions six months delivery and nary a word. Once inquired politely about one of their products. "No Idea!" was their considered response. So BAD, it almost raised a chuckle w/yours truly... :(

I ordered two Items from pulsar on the 20Th of march and got e mails confirming the orders. The money has been debited from my credit card but pulsar have sent nothing to me. :shocked:

They don't answer any of my emails :x and I cant phone from work so miss most of their opening hours!

The three times i have called there is no answer :lol: :? :x :insects1: :D

NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!

WILL NOT BUY FROM THEM AGAIN ( rather concerned with just getting my money back actually! :(

Luke

I have bought a number of things from them with fine results. Items arrived in quite good time and there was no hassle. On a number of occasions I emailed them but have never received a reply. IMO their communications really need improvement.

Andrew

Order Update:

Well when I spoke to them on the 11th, I was told it was being sent that day.

Here we are on the 14th, and I called again (bear in mind we were both calm throughout, voices were not raised at all):

Me: Hello, I ordered some items on the 9th, five days ago, but have yet to receive anything and wondered if you could tell me if it has been dispatched yet.

I gave her the order number, she typed it in to something.

Lady: I will have to look into it and get back to you.

Me: Can't you tell by looking at your screen if it's been sent?

Lady: I'll have to look into it and get back to you in an hour.

Me: I work nights and need to go to bed soon, can you call back sooner.

Lady: Well I'll need to look into the order which will take ten minutes, so I'll call back in an hour.

Me: If it'll take ten minutes, can you call back in ten minutes?

Lady: Ok.

I waited about five minutes, then the phone rang.

Lady: You order will be dispatched today.

Me: When I called on the 11th, I was told it was going out that day too. What makes me believe that it will be sent today?

Lady: All I can do is apologise, the order will go out today. There was a problem with the post.

Me: What was the problem with the post?

Lady: <slight stammer, wasn't expecting that question> the the problom was uhm with the postal system we use, it had a problem.

Me: You must understand that this is terrible service, the item was ordered 5 days ago, and yet has not even been posted.

(I kick myself here, as I forgot to mention that I'd been told when I telephoned on the 9th that the item was in stock and would go out same day provided the order was received by 14:30 - I have an email confirmation of order acceptance for 13:47, well within "the zone".)

Lady: All I can do is apologise, the order will go out today.

Me: I have to add, your reputation is awful on several astronomy forums. People are talking about their experiences with you. If I'd read about you before placing my order, I wouldn't have placed the order, and right now I'm wishing I hadn't ordered.

Lady: Ok.

Me: Please make sure my order is dispatched today.

Lady: I will.

We said our goodbyes, and now I'm waiting. Well actually I'm off to bed - nightshift tonight..

I telephoned Pulsar optical today and spoke to very nice woman. It has taken 7 phone calls to get someone to pick up and when I did get through I had the same conversation that someone else had above :( ( obviously the dates and order numbers were different :D) It is scary how little they care!

The nice lady has no idea where my order is and has promised to email me at work tomorrow. I will try not to hold my breath!

The phone is answered as the astronomy and nature center so my advice is to avoid like the plague any of those company's operating there unless you can actually go in person and take your goods home yourself.

Luke

I've not dealt with SnS, but on a slightly side issue with regard the payment.

I am more than happy for a company to take the money immediately - i fact I prefer it (even if the item is out of stock). That way I know that the item is paid for and I do not have to continually remember that I've spent X amount of pounds that hasn't been taken out of my account yet!

The key thing for me is communication - if something is going to take a month, that's fine if it's delayed after that that's also fine - BUT TELL ME! Just don't fob me off.

I don't even mind making the call to chase the item, but I need to be told the truth.

Ant

Archived