Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Push To Dob

So, I've been enjoying my 300mm OOUK dob and its been giving lovely views of jupiter. Now I want to stretch it's legs and unleash its deep sky capabilities. Only thing is I don't know my way around. I did stumble upon a galaxy a few nights back but I had no idea what I was seeing.

I'm now looking for the simplest way to turn my set-up into a push to system. I don't need drives or gears. Just a way for technology to show me where to point and also what I'm looking at?

Is this possible and what do you folks suggest?

Thanks

You can print off or mark out a 360° setting circle on the base and try to find a digital inclinometer something like a wixey to attach to the ota.

Then get the coordinates for your target from a night sky app

Don't rule out learning to find your way around and star hopping. If you have a local club or head to some of the star parties and gatherings you'll find people are only too pleased to give you a few pointers. with some practice and the right star maps (I use a combination of the Sky & Telescope Pocket Star Atlas and the new Interstellarum field edition) you'll find you'll start to track things down quite easily. It's hugely rewarding and doesn't need to be time consuming if you can get someone to kick you off.

One of the things I love about my newly acquired dob is the wonderful analogue evenings I get with star atlas, a dob with no wires and a torch. I think I can now find a lot of stuff more quickly than if I had to fumble around with a go-to or push-to system. Don't get me wrong - I don't always find what I'm looking for, but the chase is remarkably thrilling.

Lovely scope you've got there, by the way!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a manual 10” dob. I use the StarWalk app on my smartphone for an atlas to look deep space objects up and see where they are in the sky. I get oriented in the constellation and just star hop until I find stuff. Recently, I started shining a laser pointer through my finder scope so that the laser points right to where the DSO should be in the sky. This is much faster than GoTo. I can pretty much put my scope smack dab on the Leo Triplet, M3, M13, M51 etc. in one try. I don’t think this is breaking any rules or astronomer ethics--but I'm open to correction. I just make sure there are no airplanes or helis overhead.

You can print off or mark out a 360° setting circle on the base and try to find a digital inclinometer something like a wixey to attach to the ota.

Then get the coordinates for your target from a night sky app

Would this work with a tabletop reflector? as long as i align correctly?

I can only second the suggestion of the Nexus and SkySafari. I have this fitted to my 16" and it really is fabulous. You can ignore it if you want to star hop yourself, or use it when you need.

I found it invaluable when hopping around the Virgo cluster, you can spend the time looking rather than trying fathom out what you are looking at

Archived