SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 - Andromeda galaxy

tingting44

Hi, think ive just about got to the end of this image, its been one of the hardest images to process to date, it was also my 1st time imaging an object over 1 night

I 1st captured night 1 data on the 21'st September 2014 which consisted of 25 subs giving me 4.16 hours on M31

here is what 1 ten min subs looks like with no processing done at all

15730354617_f0f4164066_z.jpg

M31  (single RAW 10min sub - NO PROCESSING) by tingting44, on Flickr

and here are a few versions from night 1 data...(these were processed last year)

15147531728_ebb0956971_z.jpg

M31 - WIP by tingting44, on Flickr

15164897339_fb9ab0995f_z.jpg

M31 - Negative B&W - WIP by tingting44, on Flickr

15728554748_e114a7aa72_z.jpg

M31 (Pixinsight) by tingting44, on Flickr

Then the next chance i got to grab night 2 data was 16'th Jan 2015! due to weather/work......

i managed to grab 19 more 10 min subs giving me another 3.16 hours of data, so in total of night 1 & 2 i now have a total of 7.32 hours on M31

i have been over and over this combined night 1 and 2 stack so many times lol, think im going to now file it away as "finished" for now, till i get more data later on in the year......maybe

Well here is the final image consisting of 7.32 hours of 10 min subs (44 subs), all images have dark/flat/bias calibration frames 

16832231907_e2878b6814_z.jpg

M31 - Finished by tingting44, on Flickr

The equipment used...

SW 130-pds
HEQ5
Baader LP filter
SW Coma corrector
Canon 7D
also thought id show a quick process of trying to get a decent mask in Pixinsight to protect the background and stars, it was a right pig, lol
16016535503_43edf9b3fd_z.jpg
jobs a goodun by tingting44, on Flickr

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you kindly all, still not 100% happy with the core, but thats something i can concentrate on when it comes round again, by adding some shorter subs to this current image to help me control the core more, but then im dying to try M33 so not sure how much of a look in  M31 will get next season...... :)

Good stuff, certainly. Very much so.

I'd just watch that inner core, which is starting to look slightly stellar. Blending in a softer stretch would be easy enough, I think.

Olly

Thank you kindly Olly

yes the core is a bit pants, I might have a play about with layers in photoshop, I have had hardly any experience using layers so a good bit of practice, till I manage to grab some shorter subs at least....

Thank you kindly Olly

yes the core is a bit pants, I might have a play about with layers in photoshop, I have had hardly any experience using layers so a good bit of practice, till I manage to grab some shorter subs at least....

I doubt that you need shorter subs. This is often a bit of a myth (though not for the Trapezium!) Just have a look at the linear image to see what the unstretched core looks like. You can then give it a custom stretch in Curves which ignores the rest of the image. Get yourself a nice smooth core and then paste the main image on top of it. You can use masks if you like but a soft edged eraser at low opacity can be used to take off the top core. A good trick is to start with a large eraser and make it progressively smaller as you take off iterations at about 10% opacity each time. I've been called a barbarian for using this method  :eek:  :grin: but only after I've described it. 

That's how I did the core on our M31 anyway.

Olly

Thank you kindly vox :)

I am always impressed by the amount of hard work, knowledge and dedication that goes into a picture like this ... Kudos to you :)

Archived