Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Horizons, Only 100 days from Pluto.

Laurie61

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good new images  :smiley: Dr May's 3d image does not work that well for me, so I have reversed it, I think it works better but it might be my eyes are crossed before I start  :grin:

It's a very personal thing - his images are intended to be viewed with eyes relaxed and looking straight ahead (using a viewer) but i can 'see' it by making it smaller and taking off my glasses and getting close.

I can view your pair at a greater distance by crossing my eyes. <edit> and its incredible...

Some folk will struggle to 'see' either pair, I'm lucky I can even do teh 'Magic Eye' books (remember those?)

Some folk will struggle to 'see' either pair, I'm lucky I can even do teh 'Magic Eye' books (remember those?)

Yes, I still have a magic eye book. :grin: If you can generate a stereo image from a stereo pair it does help tease a bit more detail out I find, compared to a single image.

Good new images :smiley: Dr May's 3d image does not work that well for me, so I have reversed it, I think it works better but it might be my eyes are crossed before I start :grin:

nh-pluto-steror1s.png

Nice one! Your version looks like a 3D 'sphere' to me, whereas the original looks like a looking into a 3D 'bowl' :)

Hey it works, both sets. That is the first time Ive tried with these 3d images.I find it works better for me by relxing my eyes bringing the images almost up to my nose then moving them away and the 3d image stays. Great stuff, thanks Dr May and others.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I wonder if tonight will be when they release the first real close-up photographs? So far the closest they have published was from 100,000km and I think the closest pass was to be 12,500km so we should see much more detail.

All very exciting :smile:

More interesting data  :smiley: It looks as though the arrival timing was spot on given the recent reduction in atmospheric pressure. 

post-30467-0-28623400-1437764337_thumb.p

Speeding away from Pluto just seven hours after its July 14 closest approach, the New Horizons spacecraft looked back and captured this spectacular image of Pluto’s atmosphere, backlit by the sun. The image reveals layers of haze that are several times higher than scientists predicted.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150724

More interesting data  :smiley: It looks as though the arrival timing was spot on given the recent reduction in atmospheric pressure. 

post-30467-0-28623400-1437764337_thumb.p

Speeding away from Pluto just seven hours after its July 14 closest approach, the New Horizons spacecraft looked back and captured this spectacular image of Pluto’s atmosphere, backlit by the sun. The image reveals layers of haze that are several times higher than scientists predicted.

Some more images -  :eek:

post-30467-0-06029900-1437764977_thumb.j

post-30467-0-30054100-1437765029_thumb.j

Four images from New Horizons’ Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) were combined with color data from the Ralph instrument to create this global view of Pluto. (The lower right edge of Pluto in this view currently lacks high-resolution color coverage.) The images, taken when the spacecraft was 280,000 miles (450,000 kilometers) away, show features as small as 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometers).

post-30467-0-50447000-1437765107_thumb.j

Four images from New Horizons’ Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) were combined with color data from the Ralph instrument to create this enhanced color global view of Pluto. (The lower right edge of Pluto in this view currently lacks high-resolution color coverage.) The images, taken when the spacecraft was 280,000 miles (450,000 kilometers) away, show features as small as 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometers).

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/Press-Conferences/July-24-2015.php

• 4 weeks later...

Wow!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

A fantastic movie showing New Horizons close passage before and past Pluto!

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/common/content/videos/dataMovies/FLYTHROUGH_ANIMATION_V5.mp4

Source: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science-Photos/image.php?page=1&gallery_id=2&image_id=266

Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute/Stuart Robbins

NASA’s New Horizons Team Selects Potential Kuiper Belt Flyby Target

NASA has selected the potential next destination for the New Horizons mission to visit after its historic July 14 flyby of the Pluto system. The destination is a small Kuiper Belt object (KBO) known as 2014 MU69 that orbits nearly a billion miles beyond Pluto.

This remote KBO was one of two identified as potential destinations and the one recommended to NASA by the New Horizons team. Although NASA has selected 2014 MU69 as the target, as part of its normal review process the agency will conduct a detailed assessment before officially approving the mission extension to conduct additional science.

New Horizons was originally designed to fly beyond the Pluto system and explore additional Kuiper Belt objects. The spacecraft carries extra hydrazine fuel for a KBO flyby; its communications system is designed to work from far beyond Pluto; its power system is designed to operate for many more years; and its scientific instruments were designed to operate in light levels much lower than it will experience during the 2014 MU69 flyby.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150828

They've been downlinking lots of the science data, I believe image downloads will resume in early September.

Mid november should see a good chunk of em:

"After that, a steady stream of images and spectra will arrive on Earth. "The sky will be raining presents from the Pluto system," Stern notes. By mid-November, all the observations should be in hand — albeit in compressed form. Then the spacecraft will start the complete playback a second time, but without any compression. That effort will take most of 2016 to complete. "

Archived