Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Horizons, Only 100 days from Pluto.

Laurie61

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Pluto 'close  up': "The close-up image was taken about 1.5 hours before New Horizons closest approach to Pluto, when the craft was 478,000 miles (770,000 kilometers) from the surface of the planet. The image easily resolves structures smaller than a mile across".

Imagine the images from when it was 50 times closer!

Superb images! Really really beautiful! 

And now we will slowly receive other great images for the next months!

It is also really interesting to know about the geology of Pluto and how the knowledge of our solar system will be affected by and improve after this amazing discovery!

Here is another image, "the first detailed image of Pluto from the Linear Etalon Imaging Spectral Array, part of the Ralph instrument on New Horizons". 

I haven't seen it posted earlier on this thread. If I missed it, I apologise.

The description seems intriguing to me:  http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science-Photos/image.php?page=1&gallery_id=2&image_id=231

nh-pluto-ice.png

Amazing images. Theres going to be more on Friday then. Hopefully there wont be as much happy clapping in another nasa broadcast.

I think if I had dedicated my career to a mission that took a decade to conceive and a decade to execute I would be clapping and happy. Let them have their moment and enjoy the science for as long as you want.

On a more positive note, what a fantastic set of pictures. Absolutely stunning.

those Pluto Mountains...the Limpet Range ?

you still cannot help wondering that when Pluto got the Planet flick , the boffins had never seen it. and we still haven't seen any Kuiper belt objects to know if Pluto is like them.....so the jury should still be out on Pluto's status.....was Pluto once in the Ecliptic and was knocked out of it ? Anyway , I'd rather lose boring old Mercury and keep Pluto...so there !

I think if I had dedicated my career to a mission that took a decade to conceive and a decade to execute I would be clapping and happy. Let them have their moment and enjoy the science for as long as you want.

On a more positive note, what a fantastic set of pictures. Absolutely stunning.

I totally agree, I didn't mean it like that. Just the duration of clapping... went on for ages  :laugh: . Wont stop me watching Friday though!

I really only started following this mission when this thread started and only had a passing interest...just another probe?

But it's slowly caught my attention and I've really enjoyed the build up. We haven't seen the climax yet but it's certainly going to be impressive.

I'm now mostly looking forward to seeing some of the "crescent" Pluto images. Maybe it's going to take a while to drip feed them back to us...

Like others, I get a bit irritated by the happy clappy Apple sycophant stylee scenes. And like others, I'll forgive them :) This is a special mission. A very special mission indeed.

We (they :) ) have now voyaged to every point of the classical Solar System. 

I know the paint aint dry on this thing yet, but the highlight for me still remains the Voyager "Grand Tours" and the images of Jupiter's Io. Most normal teenagers had posters of footballers or pop stars on their bedroom walls. I had Io :D

Oh and don't forget those geezers that went to the moon on big rockets!!

Amazing really!!!!!!!!!. We are the first humans to ever see Pluto in detail. For future generations it will be a case of "oh that's just Pluto".  

We're the generation that set foot on the moon. I just hope we reach Mars before I peg it.

<edit> Moom? Moom? What on earth was I doing...?

I didnt even know about this mission to Pluto until a couple of weeks ago to be honest. Ive always been a supporter of Pluto since its demotion (i have the t-shirts to prove it). The images so far have been emotional for me and i have almost shed a tear. Whatever side of the fence you are on regarding Pluto's planetary status...there is much love and excitement out there for Pluto. We are collectively as a species witnessing the first ever non-pixelated images of a body within our back yard.That to me is an emotional thing.

As mind blowing as the images are............its a shame that we will NEVER get to see Pluto as it is through our scopes. 

P.S.~~im wearing my: "Back In My Day,

PLUTO 

was a planet".

T-SHIRT. I have 2 of the same t-shirt in different colours (long story). I wore the other one yesterday. 

WOW! That is a fantastic feature and a fantastic picture!

I am intrigued by the long back line at one o'clock. It looks like a massive canyon or a side view of a circular feature and I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed in any of the press releases.

WOW! That is a fantastic feature and a fantastic picture!

I am intrigued by the long back line at one o'clock. It looks like a massive canyon or a side view of a circular feature and I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed in any of the press releases.

Yeah! me too! it is gorgeous!  :rolleyes:

I didnt even know about this mission to Pluto until a couple of weeks ago to be honest. Ive always been a supporter of Pluto since its demotion (i have the t-shirts to prove it). The images so far have been emotional for me and i have almost shed a tear. Whatever side of the fence you are on regarding Pluto's planetary status...there is much love and excitement out there for Pluto. We are collectively as a species witnessing the first ever non-pixelated images of a body within our back yard.That to me is an emotional thing.

As mind blowing as the images are............its a shame that we will NEVER get to see Pluto as it is through our scopes. 

P.S.~~im wearing my: "Back In My Day,

PLUTO 

was a planet".

T-SHIRT. I have 2 of the same t-shirt in different colours (long story). I wore the other one yesterday. 

I was aware since about 2010. I must have heard about it on wikipedia and stuck a note on my calendar since then.

Not that New Horizons would have reached Pluto without rumours! 

Since last January I have already been particularly excited about this mission!

Archived