Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter & Io 21.03.15

Virgoman

Good evening everyone! Have attached the first image I acquired during the transit of Io yesterday evening. Seeing was pretty good and Io`s darkened poles are resolved, I think ( at least on my IIyama desktop monitor!) together with the characteristic yellow - orange colour of this volcanic satellite. Io`s shadow has yet to appear when this image was captured but was acquired later in the session. Jupiter`s belts and zones are showing plenty of activity as usual! Imaged with a Celestron C8, Tal 2x barlow and ASI120MM through Baader filters. Thanks for looking and clear skies!

best regards,

Ralph

post-4992-0-48931600-1427056867.png

Very many thanks Bryan & Simon for your most kind comments. Much appreciated as always. Bryan Io does seem to be showing a variation in colour with a darkening towards each pole. Has the orange/yellow colour which is a characteristic of this moon I believe.

Best regards,

Ralph

Very many thanks to you all Pete, Knobby, Stuart, Radders, Vox45, Steve C for your most generous comments - very much appreciated by me and thanks for taking the time to comment :smiley:. Was pleased to get some decent conditions to coincide with this transit - my first transit this season I think!

Ralph. Really nice...so just to confirm....where you using just the lens of the TAL X2, or the full thing? 

Steve I didn`t just use the lens - but didn`t use the Tal body either! I had an old Skywatcher barlow ( from years ago - not great!) as I would appear to have misplaced the Tal one :rolleyes:. This body has a thread at the business end and I threaded  the Tal lens onto it. Conveniently it also has a thread at the other end allowing me to screw on the 120MM!

Best regards and clear skies to all,

Ralph

Next time out can you take a picture of your full imaging train for me please? would be handy to match up what I have. Do you also use a crayford focuser as well, as that adds quite a bit of length in the train. Cheers for the help!

Many thanks Philj, Jake and Martyn for your kind comments. Much appreciated! :smiley: 

Next time out can you take a picture of your full imaging train for me please? would be handy to match up what I have. Do you also use a crayford focuser as well, as that adds quite a bit of length in the train. Cheers for the help!

I don`t use a Crayford Steve - I am just using the stock C8 focuser. Imaging chain is a flip mirror plugged into the standard visual back. The flip mirror is mated to my filter wheel at one side with the barlow and ASI combo. plugged in on the other side of the  wheel.

best regards,

Ralph

Archived