NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi there im new to the forum

Dean bailey

Hi there im new to the forum and would like to say hello, I'm from MANCHESTER uk 30 year old.

Not long been into astronamy, just wanted to know why the moon as risen in the west today and its traveling east to set, is this normal after an eclipse, obvouisly im a pure beginner so join to laern a bit

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome guys, I opened new topic on my question and got right load of replys pritty rapidly.

Seems a decent forum this, happy days, I'm just a beginner but loving it and luckly live near a nice observery in salford MANCHESTER, it's on chaseley road salford and has opening nights every month, will be going to one of the opening nights hopefully...

Just going to get me telescope out now and wait for saturn to come up so I can view it, I have sky walk app on iPad so I'm all good.

Thanks for the welcome and take care....

Hi Dean,

Warm welcome to SGL. Fiirstly find your local astro group and see what others have. A couple of books to help are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'. If you have 10 mins donload a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/

As far as the Moon goes rising west and setting east, all the planets and stars do so too. This is due to the continuos spin of the earth beneath the sky. You can use Stellarium to simulate this.

I have an amazing app called sky walk on my iPad so I'm alright really as there loads of info there, and same again thanks for the welcome guys, very good forum, been reading through all sorts of threads amazing stuff, I'm joining at my local astronamy club which is in salford manchester, chaseley road Google it take a look.....

Take care guys happy observing

Hi Dean,

Warm welcome to SGL. Fiirstly find your local astro group and see what others have. A couple of books to help are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'. If you have 10 mins donload a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/

As far as the Moon goes rising west and setting east, all the planets and stars do so too. This is due to the continuos spin of the earth beneath the sky. You can use Stellarium to simulate this.

You have your West and East the wrong way round.

Archived