Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar eclipse March 20th, getting ready!

Pete Presland

I know its early and probably tempting fate, but the planning stage is well advanced. I had to spend the last one in 1999 stuck at work!

I have found a decent site at my mothers bungalow, a more than good enough view and power for the equipment.

I am planning on using my PST for some HA views probably 4 pane mosaics.

I am also going to do a series of white light images with my ED80, ND3.5 Baader AstroSolar Solar Film, plus my Canon 450d. I have a 2" field flattener that I will probably use or just a standard 1 1/4" filter.

My question is do I need a continuum filter for the white light images and do they make much difference?

Anybody got anything planned already?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm planning to watch through my PST and possibly eclipse glasses and video it through my startravel 102 with Herschel wedge to record it in white light. Not sure yet whether to stick a solar continuum filter on or not. Really it's for bringing out the surface grain and the video is about watching the passage of the moon so will probably leave that off. I'll have a polarising filter at the ready though, in my view, more use for this than the continuum filter.

As you say though, probably tempting fate. ......

Fingers crossed for happy viewing.

Given what you SGL imagers have shown me so far, I'm sure there will be some awesome posts.

Being purely visual, I have nothing to plan for but everything to hope for - i.e. Clear Skies!

you must be looking at 90% + from where you are i think its around 85% from Bedfordshire.

The last partial eclipse here was what really set me on the road to solar imaging, how I look back at those eclipse shots and wish I could have a crack at it now.

Last time I had my 150PL set up for white light with the 450D and my PST set up for visual, I also had a sun projector set up. It was a more basic set up than what I use now for white light but not too much difference.

You don't need a continuum filter so I wouldn't worry about not using one but if you had one then whack it on, I will have an OIII filter in my set up or you could use a UV/IR.

Still you don't need any of them if you wish.

This year I haven't worked out my approach at all. I will have the 150mm for white light and I'll probably try a mix of the 450D and asi120mm for full disks and close ups.

For Ha it looks as though I'll have to strip it back to the original PST from the mod so I can get a full disk in Ha but that's more because I will probably have to use the Polarie as the mount and it wont take the full mod, maybe I can get the EQ2 to track, I don't know.

What I would like to do but not sure if I can is to be able to image things like the mountains on the moon during the eclipse and maybe I can get the kids to look for little mini eclipses through shadows in trees and what not.

Not sure whether to do a nice timelapsey thing or presentation, that sort of thing is far to organised for me.

I don't know if there is any other phenomena to look out for in a partial eclipse, if anyone has any other ideas that'd be great.

Something else that may change what I try and do is just what is active on the sun at the time, I'm hoping for another monster sun spot. :D

But if there is loads of activity in Ha or lots of spots I will try and work around that.

I have just asked if my wife can take the day off so here is hoping she can.

Anyway I'm starting to get well up for it.

I have that day booked off work already, and I also got the hubby to book it too. I'm going to be mobile, I am going anywhere in the UK where it may be forecast to be sunny (I really hope the weather isn't like it is at the moment!). I'm going to be viewing with the eclipse glasses, both PSTs and I want to make a solar filter for my DSLR. I guess it will be good practice for the 2017 eclipse :)

Alexandra

Hi,

Already booked the morning off work and going to do a public display outside the library in my local village. I am planning on having my Lunt 60 Ha and White light rig with an ASI120MM in each and a couple of laptops to show the eclipse in white light and narrow band.

A solar continuum filter does help bring out a bit more detail, but when the eclipse is over 90% there won't be much surface to see so it won't make that much difference.

Hoping for clear skies, if we do, will post pics on here, but I would settle for 10 minutes around the best bit.

Robin

The plan for me is to join the outreach event that is being organised alongside SGLX. However, I too will be keeping an eye on the forecast and will drive to where the sun is shining, even if it means travelling out of the UK :laugh:

Yeah even here the weather is starting to concern me, compared to this time last year it has been shocking. If it's not cloudy it is far too windy to do anything. It's been a tough month but I guess I have some reason to expect a decent morning.

Not going to get as good as coverage though as you guys.

I plan on observing with my 70mm refrac along with my lunt wedge,ND 3.0 and polarising filter. I dont think theres much point in using the continuum filter also?. If i can drag myself away from the scope i also have some eclipse glasses.

Id give up 6mths of clear skies at night just for it to be clear on 20th Mar. From my location, the eclipse is going to be about 94% of totality. Thats about the closest i will likely ever get to a total eclipse.

What size EP would be good?. Im thinking nothing too powerful as i want a wide view of the event. Maybe 10mm or even 15mm?

A friend and I are packing up our scopes and heading up to just outside of Thurso, Scotland for a couple of days. We plan to try and get a couple of night's worth of dark skies as well as about 98% totality on the big day. Everything crossed for the weather to play ball now :-)

A friend and I are packing up our scopes and heading up to just outside of Thurso, Scotland for a couple of days. We plan to try and get a couple of night's worth of dark skies as well as about 98% totality on the big day. Everything crossed for the weather to play ball now :-)

98% is pretty good it will be interesting to see how dark it feels.

The solar eclipse is fast approaching here in the Faroe Islands and I wish I had some chance to practice before it's time! As you all probably know, we're in the path of totality, and I live in the utmost northern part of the country, almost where it will last the longest.

I've only got 2 DSLRs, two Canon 1100Ds. I'm considering asking around to borrow more cameras so I can use every camera lens at my disposal to record the event.

I will put my full spectrum 1100D as prime focus on my SW 200P, where it can get the entire disc on the sensor and then make a timelapse sequence of the entire event, with perhaps a 10s interval. The part I'm nervous is totality itself, should I remove the baader solar film at that time to get those amazing Baily's beads or is that feature possible to capture through the solar film? Much to think about & research and not much time left. :p

I've also got my Heritage 130P dobsonian that I can mount on my SW Star Adventurer to track the Sun and perhaps record some with my ASI174MM camera, but I haven't made it ready for solar, I haven't made  a suitable filter yet (got lots of film left though) and I need to clad it so isn't open tube for the event, too bad I'm terrible at DIY, but I really need to all the equipment I have available ready.

I've also booked a day off work. I'm planning to use my Evostar 120 with 1000d DSLR connected to laptop to get maybe a time lapse. Also my trusty Bresser 70mm for eyepiece projection. That leaves me with my ED80 for my 400d slr for good measure. Not forgetting my trusty S@N magazine eclipse glasses !

If the cloud gods get their way I'll just be watching BBC stargazing live! and / or http://www.solareclipse2015.org.uk/live-webcast/

:D

Excellent link, thanks for that.

I may have that on in the back ground on the PC, it'd be nice to see totality.

Why do I feel like I must end every comment about the eclipse with "Weather permitting". :D

I have been finalising the Eclipse Outreach Event for SGLX. We have 32 SGL members signed up + their friends, partners etc, 150 local school children and currently 10 members of Herefordshire Astro Society.

We will be recording the live broadcast which will be shown to everyone after the event.

Could be an interesting morning.

I have been finalising the Eclipse Outreach Event for SGLX. We have 32 SGL members signed up + their friends, partners etc, 150 local school children and currently 10 members of Herefordshire Astro Society.

We will be recording the live broadcast which will be shown to everyone after the event.

Could be an interesting morning.

Fingers crossed for an excellent morning.

We spent 1999 in Cornwall in the middle of a golf course, soaking wet and clouded out.  It was very still and eerie and the shadows were really cool.  This time we also plan to be mobile and check the weather the day before. It's only a partial but I plan to just watch and enjoy the event, then log on SGL to what see what the rest of you managed to see.

We both booked the day off ages ago.If it's clear at home we will be watching through 130p and 200 dob with baader film and shooting video through TS70 and Lunt wedge with polarizing filter. If it's not clear here then we will be taking the TS70 on a bit of a road trip to find the sun and not worrying about imaging.

Although I seem to remember having some spare Baader film somewhere so I could knock up a filter for the 1100d to take with us.

I hadnt thought of having the SGL thingie on in the background, good idea.

Archived