Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eqmod(igive up)

jaygpoo

3yrs + of astronomy and ? spent on equipment an every time we get a good night which is rare the eqmod lets me down. I have brought a laptop that had xp installed just so that I could run eqmod on its best platform. There is nothing else on the machine but astronomy software. I have purpose made long usb cables that have no problems. I set my eq6 pro mount up and connect to a battery. Connect up the leads and open eqmon toolbox. Press com find and it finds it and we are off. I use eqmod to polar align and then install my scope and ccd etc. I walk back to the laptop to star align and the eqmod is saying comm failure. Nothing has been touched or disconnected ? so why. I switch the mount off and back on but still no joy. Then a window appears saying the device is unknown and it has no driver. Funny as 10 mins ago it was working. Nothing will resolve the situation so I decide to remove ascom platform and eqmod and start again ( I have the ascomm removal software) Still no joy. I look on the ascom site for telescope drivers but the celestron driver seems to have changed as it does not say its ok for eq6 mount which I was sure it did before.  So all this gear looking at me and no way of connecting all of a sudden to the mount using eqmod. I have had nights where everything worked fine and then eqmod would crash but if I shut down the laptop and started again it would be ok but not this time. To be frank I have lost faith in this software that should be the bees knees . Any suggestions that could restore my confidence would be welcome be I start the sell off.  I must at this point say that I started visual observing but got hooked on astrophotography hence the need to use a laptop and software for ccd / cdc / guiding etc and eqmod filled all my needs.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not very technical, but two things have struck me:

1) You mention battery.  Could it be that power is the problem, any chance of using mains instead?  

2) Is it possible to use a handset instead of EQMod, seems a shame to waste all this nice equipment and enthusiasm.  

I have EQMOd but find using the handset just as easy and in any case I don't have enough USBs now and adding a hub to the mix whatever I put on the hub doesn't seem to like it.  so i stick to the handset.

Carole

I look on the ascom site for telescope drivers but the celestron driver seems to have changed as it does not say its ok for eq6 mount which I was sure it did before.

EQMod doesn't use any Celestron drivers, the ASCOM driver you are looking for is EQMod ASCOM EQ5/6.

I have purpose made long usb cables that have no problems.

I wouldn't mind betting that your problem lies here. Purely for testing purposes, try using the mount closer to the PC with short USB cables and see if reliability improves. However:-

How are you connecting your PC to the mount?

a. USB EQDir adapter direct to mount

b. USB to serial port adapter to handcontroller

c. Serial port on PC to serial EQDir direct to mount

d. Serial port on PC to handcontroller

If you are using extension usb cable/s then you need a powered hub at the end to get reliability. If mains power is at hand use it instead of batteries. Astrophotography is a hard task master at the best of times. When I started I just used an extension usb cable with drop outs all the time, I now run with two active 5 meter usb cables each with a 4 port powered hub at the end, never have any problems connecting now to any software drivers. 

I feel your pain

tried xp win7 32 and 64 bit

I run from mains and use short cables sometimes works flawlessly next trips out like yours

I am using a laptop just to control the mount

the cam and filter I have to borrow the others 1/2's lappy

Thanks as always for your thoughts. I have a cliff ready to jump if needed. Yes I am using the eqmod link up cable. The laptop is mains powered. I am trying to control the mount from 20ft away as I can sit in my conservatory.  These long usb cables are suppose to be made for that purpose with a special end on them. In trying to get a mobile set up I have not found a 12v supplied usb hub. I will try the eq6 driver suggested but I am sure that I was told the celestron driver covered the eq6?  Will continue to march on and will let you know the result.  Jay

There are 12v powered hubs but most are 5v, you could use a dc-dc converter to power a 5v hub from 12v supply like this one below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-15W-Converter-12V-Step-down-to-5V-3A-Power-Supply-Module-Waterproof-UK-/221605428892?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item3398b67e9c

There is a 5 amp module (preferable) but it needs to be housed in a waterproof box.

You need to simplify as much as possible, removing variables from the mix and see if that resolves it.

Firstly, set the laptop next to the mount, use short, standard USB cables, and see how you get on. 

Personally, I've not had issues with eqmod... my ability to set things up, power, clouds etc... yes, many times.. 

IMHO 95% of the time is hardware related.

Yes indeed, cable and hardware issues are the bane of my imaging life, to the point I connect everything in the same order to avoid the usual usb driver problems.

Get the kit as sorted as possible, with as few variables as possible in the rig. My StarTech hub, focuser and dew heater controller live in the battery box  to keep the variables down, then a  30 meter USB cables to the laptop, actually, three 10m cables, two of then being active. I've even used self amalgamating tape to make sure the cable to cable joins are solid. This system has worked reliably now for some months, if only the weather played ball.

Huw

So I have set the mount next to the laptop and connected the mount using the EQdir cable (also new) and switched  on. Again eqmod can not find the com. A  windows box keeps telling me that the usb device is not recognised. I have again deleted and relaoded both the ascom platform and eqmod that should have the driver in it for my neq6 pro. Non of this explains how last night it all worked when I set it up and 5 mins later a message tells me there is no comm connection. Now it appears I have no driver . IS EQMOD AS I UNDERSTAND IT ALL THAT I NEED TO CONTROL THE EQ6 MOUNT , or is there a driver I am missing?  Going slowly mad as if its a cable or software issue I seem to have removed or replaced them and still no joy using the rock solid EDMOD

Did you download and install the relevant eqdir drivers from http://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=55 ? Are you running the correct ascom platform ? Check the com port that your computer has assigned for the USB device (sorry, I can't recall the details on that, and I can't connect mine up at the moment to double check). Then when you run eqmod, make sure the correct com port is referenced.

If I had to guess, I'd say that windows decided that the USB disconnected and reconnected, reloaded the drivers, and decided to load it on a 'new' com port. The same can happen if you swap USB ports etc. This might be down to all sorts of reasons... the cables would be my first guess.

The 'usb device not recognised' error sounds as if the driver for the 'prolific' usb to serial chip in the eqdir is not being found. I had a problem once where mine disappeared, and had to be re-loaded.

Huw

will try the eq6 driver suggested but I am sure that I was told the celestron driver covered the eq6

I think the confusion here might be down to the fact that you can control a (N)EQ6 in a very minor way from a planetarium program by using the Celestron ASCOM driver but this has no connection with EQMod which uses the specific ASCOM driver I mention above.

The key to the 'close coupled' test as well as the final installation is to correctly identify the right COM Port. In XP, you ned to do the folloowing:-

1. plug the EQDir device into the USB port that you intend on using from now on

2. Left click on Start - My Computer

3. Left click on 'View System Information'

4. Left click on 'Hardware Tab'

5. Left lick on 'Device Manager' button

6. Left click on 'Ports'

7. Make a note of the Com Port number to enter into the EQMod dialogue box.

Done all that steve and still not recognised. So here is what I think. The driver in eqmod has gone wrong. I deleted eqmod using remove programme in the control box. When I downloaded a new copy and installed it I noticed straight away that all my longitude etc was all still there . In other words I was expecting in a new reload to enter my position so had it deleted ALL the info and software?  If the driver was not removed then no mater how many times I reload it the driver is not going to be replaced. The cleaver ones directed me to download a little programme they had written when I was unable to completly clear out the ascom platform so do we have the same problem with Eqmod?  Just to wind me up more I got out my serial cable connector and plugged it into the handset. Set it to pC mode and opened stellarium. This has worked ok in the past but although it says the scope is connected it will not show the scope name by the marker on the screen nor wil it skew. If I connect the handset the scope works FINE.

Done all that steve and still not recognised. So here is what I think. The driver in eqmod has gone wrong. I deleted eqmod using remove programme in the control box. When I downloaded a new copy and installed it I noticed straight away that all my longitude etc was all still there . In other words I was expecting in a new reload to enter my position so had it deleted ALL the info and software?  If the driver was not removed then no mater how many times I reload it the driver is not going to be replaced. The cleaver ones directed me to download a little programme they had written when I was unable to completly clear out the ascom platform so do we have the same problem with Eqmod?  Just to wind me up more I got out my serial cable connector and plugged it into the handset. Set it to pC mode and opened stellarium. This has worked ok in the past but although it says the scope is connected it will not show the scope name by the marker on the screen nor wil it skew. If I connect the handset the scope works FINE.

When you unistall EQMOD - it is deregistered from windows and ASCOM and the executable files are removed. However, your 'user settings' are purposely not deleted so that when you re-install the driver it is already setup for you - this is a feature not a problem - so no need to worry unduly abou that. Should you really want to clear out all EQMOD's settings you can do so using the toolbox application that installs with EQMOD - just use the delete ini files feature and when EQMOD next runs it will create new files with defaults assigned.

Please note that EQMOD is an ASCOM driver not a hardware driver - there is a subtle distinction here. All EQMOD does is send and receive messages via a standard windows com port. Windows has to find that port and run the appropriate usb hardware driver that physically sends and receives data to the mount itself. "USB device not recognised" is not  a message issued by EQMOD - it is a windows level message. If you are still getting this message then this is a clear sign that windows itself can't recognise the interface cable you are using - before you can procede in using ASCOM/EQMOD/Stellarium and hte reset you need to resolve that very fundamental issue.

Chris.

At this point it really can not be anything to do with leads as I have the mount in the house next to the laptop connected by the basic needed cables and it still will not work saying the device is not recognised . Some how I need to reload the eqmod driver for the usb to the mount.

At this point it really can not be anything to do with leads as I have the mount in the house next to the laptop connected by the basic needed cables and it still will not work saying the device is not recognised . Some how I need to reload the eqmod driver for the usb to the mount.

Dont rule out a damaged EQDIR cable. I've had one that worked for ages then failed. A dry solder joint in the plug broke away. As soon as you plug in the EQDIR cable (even if not connected to the mount) it should appear in Device manager under "Ports (COM and LTP)".

Make sure that you have the correct COM port assigned to the USB-to-Serial in Device Manger.

I did have a problem when I changed to my EQ8 and solved it be downloading the Celestron universal driver off the ASCOM site.

.....and it still will not work saying the device is not recognised . Some how I need to reload the eqmod driver for the usb to the mount.

The EQMOD software is not a USB driver it is an ASCOM driver. EQMOD connects Planetarium/guiding apps to a windows com port - nothing more. Windows and the hardware driver for the com port provide the connection to the mount. If windows isn't detecting the hardware this has nothing to do with EQMOD and the problem lies at a windows/hardware driver level. So what you need to reload is the hardware driver for your interface cable and only when windows recognises that correctly do you need to worry about EQMOD setup.

Chris.

Thanks agin for all your thoughts. I has a computer guy looking at my machine today and even he was lost.  So I tried something I have never done before . I connected the handset and the serial to usb adaptor I have ( I only ever used this lead to control the scope by Stellarium)  and open eqmod (handset in pc mode) and it worked first time..  The eqdir lead was almost new and shows no sign what so ever of cable damage so do I take it that the mini electronics in the plugs as failed? if thats the case then the eqdir cables are a total let down as thats the second one i have had in a year. Will use this new setup on the next clear night!!! and report.  I have stepped back from the cliff edge?  Jay

Archived