Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asteroid fly-by 26-27 January

ghostdance

Thanks Ghostdance - a very helpful video. Sounds like another early rise is in store (Jupiter triple transit early tomorrow), to catch its fly-by near M44. That'll make a neat time-lapse challenge. Never tried an asteroid before but will aim to give it a go.

A correction to my previous post.

The NASA NEO Earth Close Approaches page lists 2004 BL86 at mag 19. Sky & Telescope has it at about mag 9.2 at closest approach. Pity the NASA page doesn't give any further info on the mag.

So it will be visible in small telescopes.

Nigel

Does anyone else's Stellarium show this as moving through Orion from 10pm, specifically just to the right of Rigel? (and not going anywhere near Procyon and Jupiter, as in the video above)

I've re-added it a few times but it still moves on the same route. :confused:

I wouldn't be too bothered about it being incorrect normally but I just thought it would be a quick and easy way of aqcuiring the target if I do get a gap in the clouds.

Did you update the Asteroid elements in the Solar System plugin? If you select the right bookmark from the list (the one ending in ...PHA) then you can filter the resultant list and just add 2004 BL 86. Once this is done it shows the asteroid moving up between Hydra and Monoceros / Canis Minor.

Been out twice now with an 8inch dog and can't find the little blighter.

Tried for the last few hours with a 5" Newt with no luck.  Too cold now. Think best time is 5.15/30 ish according to stellerium .

Wish I could get my computer/stellerium to talk to the telescope.

Lack of experience/knowlage is what's done me/Mrs I susspect.

Did you update the Asteroid elements in the Solar System plugin? If you select the right bookmark from the list (the one ending in ...PHA) then you can filter the resultant list and just add 2004 BL 86. Once this is done it shows the asteroid moving up between Hydra and Monoceros / Canis Minor.

Thanks David.

That was on a desktop, when I updated on the imaging laptop all went well, so not sure what happened. Anyway, got some decent weather so have some frames to upload later :smiley:

Tried for the last few hours with a 5" Newt with no luck.  Too cold now. Think best time is 5.15/30 ish according to stellerium .

Wish I could get my computer/stellerium to talk to the telescope.

Lack of experience/knowlage is what's done me/Mrs I susspect.

I have now cracked it yesterday evening, gave up with them usb-serial adapters , used the onboard serial instead.  Just using plain ser2net pass through for now.

I read your post on that not long after i'd done it.  :grin: 

Just need to make a picam adapter on my lathe so I can join the imaging guys.

Archived