Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which focuser?

Hello :smiley: , 

I'm starting to plan my first mirror grind/telescope build and I fancy buying some bits (focuser/fans etc) early to keep me motivated. 

I want to have a good focuser. But I had my heart set on a good Rack and Pinion. 

Does anyone know if one exists for a Newtonian? The 2.5" feathertouches can't be mounted on one can they? 

I was looking at this but I can't see a suitable adapter for it...http://www.starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=61

If I go with a crayford, is the Feathertouch actually the better focuser.... or should I get a Moonlite? 

Love to hear some opinions!  

Thanks, 

Dan

I have a pair of Moonlites and both worked well enough but the Newts one broke at one point due partyly to me being thick and partly due to very heavy EPs.  The springs in the 10:1 reduction gear can foul up if you overtension the focuser (which I suspect I did at one point).  Moonlite were very good about it and offered to replace the springs FOC and put heavier duty ones in to pull bigger loads and its been fine since.  

I cant say on Feathertouch not ever having owned one but they look the bomb.

Hi Dan,

The Feathertoch focusers certainly can be mounted on Newtonians. On their website look for 'Bases' in the list on the left of the page. You can specify the OD of the tube you will use or have a flat base for square tubes. I believe it is the same with JMI focusers.

Regards, Hugh

I have this lightweight feathertouch that I'm waiting to put on my new scope so haven't used it yet. I must say it looks like a work of art.

http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_49&product_id=62

They do it either all black or with a gold, red, silver or copper housing. This is the gold with a fiat base.

The mechanism that racks it in and out is cleverly hidden so it doesn't cause wear marks on the housing.

post-20507-0-28187200-1420993386.jpg

post-20507-0-54679000-1420993426.jpg

It won't get rid of coma though :)

While on different scopes and different types of scope, I have had a moonlite and a couple of Feathertouch focusers. The moonlites look nice, but in my experience that's where it stopped. It fairly quickly became notchy and I really didn't rate it.

The FT on the other hand is superb in comparison. Well built and as smooth as butter. Between the two it would be FT everytime.

The moonlite talked the talk, but really didnt walk the walk in my experience.

While on different scopes and different types of scope, I have had a moonlite and a couple of Feathertouch focusers. The moonlites look nice, but in my experience that's where it stopped. It fairly quickly became notchy and I really didn't rate it.

The FT on the other hand is superb in comparison. Well built and as smooth as butter. Between the two it would be FT everytime.

The moonlite talked the talk, but really didnt walk the walk in my experience.

I have a Moonlight on my 80 ED but as you say the FT is something else, it is really well built and smooth to operate.

A.G

I have this lightweight feathertouch that I'm waiting to put on my new scope so haven't used it yet. I must say it looks like a work of art.

http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_49&product_id=62

They do it either all black or with a gold, red, silver or copper housing. This is the gold with a fiat base.

The mechanism that racks it in and out is cleverly hidden so it doesn't cause wear marks on the housing.

It won't get rid of coma though :)

Thats kinda sexy looking Richard I must say........ :)

Can you not fit the SIIPS system under it? That would be well cool  :cool:

Thats kinda sexy looking Richard I must say........ :)

Can you not fit the SIIPS system under it? That would be well cool  :cool:

Not sure but probably. I did ask if I could just get the Sips housing and use the lens bit off my Type 2 Paracorr but they're different apparently. So I'd have to get the sips lens and housing which would make the type 2 I currently have redundant. Maybe I'll upgrade sometime. - :)

Archived