Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New guy! Hi everyone!!

GaryCH

A big hello to everyone!

I'm very amateur and confused most of the time, but, I'm trying to get involved with star gazing and a bit of photography.

My kit is still very limited atm ; Meade 2090 scope, canon 5d camera and an adapted webcam! (I'll upgrade when possible!) I just bought the adapters to attach my 5d to the scope but it's been too cloudy to test properly yet, isn't that always the way?!

Any advice is always welcome, I'll try to get some pics when the weather improves for some constructive criticism ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone, nice to meet you all. I'll try to find any info in the existing threads but, no doubt I'll have plenty of questions.

Happy new year to you all :)

Hi Garry and welcome to SGL, that Meade scope you have would probably be the DS2090 refractor or the reflector version.  You may find that you need to increase the size of the focus knobs, with thick rubber "O" rings or toy car tyres, to improve precise focusing movement. As you intend to try your hand at photography, then some small sand filled bags, attached to the legs and hung from the centre of the tripod, may help to provide additional rigidity, enjoy :)

It's the refractor version. Last year I attempted to image Saturn with my old fujifilm bridge camera clamped to the scope. It was very frustrating trying to focus it as the image was so small and the scope moved so much when I touched the focus knobs so I will definitely try to add some weights and increase the size of the knobs. I'm sure my boys won't mind if I steal some of their toy car tyres!

This is the best I managed with that camera, hopefully I'll do a bit better with the 5d.

8ee7d72f444efd8100a0dffafb9918cf.jpg

I'm already seeing this is great forum, thanks for all the welcomes everyone. I'm glad I decided to sign up as I've already picked up some great tips.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a clear night! Wahoo!!

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum. Should have bought some cloud spray when you got those adaptors so it will be a lesson for next time!  :grin:  :grin:

Wishing you clear skies for now and hope to see some images in the near future. 

I think someone used some cloud spray near me tonight, I'll put it on my shopping list!

If I get half a chance, I'll try to get some shots of the moon and Jupiter later when the kids are in bed.

Archived