Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Retirement Benefit

JohnSadler

I have recently retired, lots of time no money :kiss:
Fortunately I bought a scope when I was working, which I have now dusted off. Maybe all that rain last year deterred me from getting full use out of it.

I have signed up for a MOOC (Free! from Future Learn)  on Orion run by the Open University - anyone else tried this?

I have a lot to learn, let's hope the weather is kind in January when the course starts.

Hi John - wellcome to the forum - and to retirement :-)

I was seriously considering signing up to the MOOC Orion course too - however I'm about to start a new job on Jan 5th - which is the same date the course starts and my new job will require some European travel over the next couple of months .... so I'm wondering whether I will have the time and motivation to do (and complete) the course. 

Has anyone else done this course before, or any similar MOOC courses?  It says 3 hours per week for 4 weeks duration ... do you have to be online at specific times of day/night to join web-casts / webinars, or can to do those 3 hours per week at any time of day/night that suits you?  Can you download the course material/videos and view when offline (e.g. when sitting on an airplane??)   Are there tests/exams/coursework that needs to be submitted for peer review / marking in order to pass the course and receive your credit & certificate at the end (assuming you want to pay to receive the credit/certificate of course...?)

Thanks,

Mike

Hi John,

You're 12 months or so ahead of me!  I've signed up for the Orion course and also the one on Moons in a few weeks time - looking forward to both courses (I'll find out if anything I've learned over the last few years has actually 'stuck' maybe!).

I've planned ahead and bought the 'toys' while I can afford them - plans for moving to a dark sky location with my own observatory faded along with the 'disappearing pension pot' in the recession :(   hey ho, I might starve but at least I'll enjoy myself for a while!

Have a better-than-planned 2015 and enjoy the hobby.

Paul a.k.a. The BSG

Hi John,

You're 12 months or so ahead of me!  I've signed up for the Orion course and also the one on Moons in a few weeks time - looking forward to both courses (I'll find out if anything I've learned over the last few years has actually 'stuck' maybe!).

I've planned ahead and bought the 'toys' while I can afford them - plans for moving to a dark sky location with my own observatory faded along with the 'disappearing pension pot' in the recession :(   hey ho, I might starve but at least I'll enjoy myself for a while!

Have a better-than-planned 2015 and enjoy the hobby.

Paul a.k.a. The BSG

That could be a post from me... retirement end of this March 48 working days and counting... scopes all armed and ready for use... Looking out for dark sky locations/properties... ready for long nights, sleepy days and a load of walking and cycling (are you watching count nocula?) I'll take a look at the courses, quite fancy one myself... I have found a lot of free stuff on the web including youtube lectures which are free...

Happy Days, off to a dark site again tonight, and I'll be taking a scope... reckon I'll be comet hunting if it's clear! Happy 2015!!

I have recently retired, lots of time no money...

Just about sums it up! lol. But a recent windfall allows me to complete some projects

that had been dragging their heals recently. Whatever, I rarely find myself bored? :p

I do wish I hadn't somehow "forgotten" about astronomy during my working years.  :o

But there are so many (more) opportunities these days... Can I have another life? :D

Hi John - wellcome to the forum - and to retirement :-)

I was seriously considering signing up to the MOOC Orion course too - however I'm about to start a new job on Jan 5th - which is the same date the course starts and my new job will require some European travel over the next couple of months .... so I'm wondering whether I will have the time and motivation to do (and complete) the course. 

Has anyone else done this course before, or any similar MOOC courses?  It says 3 hours per week for 4 weeks duration ... do you have to be online at specific times of day/night to join web-casts / webinars, or can to do those 3 hours per week at any time of day/night that suits you?  Can you download the course material/videos and view when offline (e.g. when sitting on an airplane??)   Are there tests/exams/coursework that needs to be submitted for peer review / marking in order to pass the course and receive your credit & certificate at the end (assuming you want to pay to receive the credit/certificate of course...?)

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike - I've done four MOOC courses in the past. For me the 3 hours is optimistic, more like 6, but it depends on the course, how much knowledge you already have and how much time you spend on the blogs with others. The interaction is part of the learning process although it doesn't usually contribute to the end grade. The lectures are not time dependent,  sometimes there is a way of downloading a pdf transcript or a video file. With the Future learn courses there tends to be one peer reviewed assignment and a number of tests on the way through the course. From what I have read I think we will be asked to post photographs.

Since the courses are free you can always sign up and complete as much as you can, if it's run again you can repeat it, if you don't need tthe certificate there is usually someone lurking on the course site well after the official end of the course to peer review.

Good luck in your new job

Hi Mike - I've done four MOOC courses in the past. For me the 3 hours is optimistic, more like 6, but it depends on the course, how much knowledge you already have and how much time you spend on the blogs with others. The interaction is part of the learning process although it doesn't usually contribute to the end grade. The lectures are not time dependent,  sometimes there is a way of downloading a pdf transcript or a video file. With the Future learn courses there tends to be one peer reviewed assignment and a number of tests on the way through the course. From what I have read I think we will be asked to post photographs.

Since the courses are free you can always sign up and complete as much as you can, if it's run again you can repeat it, if you don't need tthe certificate there is usually someone lurking on the course site well after the official end of the course to peer review.

Good luck in your new job

May thanks ... I've signed up and will see how it goes.  Looking forward to it ... :smiley:

Archived