Hello From Lancashire

star_lord

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I have just been given a Sky-Watcher BK 1025 AZ SynScan GPS

I am pretty new to stargazing etc, however it fascinates me. I havnt had chance to use my scope yet as I am awaiting a clear sky.

I am interested in observing as well as imaging,however need to get some sort of camera. Would people on here recommend a camera mount for a digital camera or a webcam?

Dan,

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed that it the case.

For the past week I have been standing on my back patio, gazing up at amazing clear skies, imagining what everything is going to look like through my soon to arrive scope...

The law of sod!

Hopefully there should be a few gaps in the cloud over the next week. At least it gives me a little bit of time to get to know my scope.

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I have just been given a Sky-Watcher BK 1025 AZ SynScan GPS

I am pretty new to stargazing etc, however it fascinates me. I havnt had chance to use my scope yet as I am awaiting a clear sky.

I am interested in observing as well as imaging,however need to get some sort of camera. Would people on here recommend a camera mount for a digital camera or a webcam?

Dan,

Of course it always depend on what is your goal. I would say that for planetary/lunar imaging a webcam is the cheapest way to go and gives you excellent results.

An old webcam (old one are CCD, newer one are CMOS) and a 10£ nosepiece adapter is all you need. You can use a free software like sharpcap and that's pretty much it to start imaging planets and the moon :)

I bought something like this

It was quite easy to install on my old toucam (philips 750k) webcam as I only had to remove the lense and screw the nosepiece ... Some other webcam are a bit trickier to install as you have to open them... You can find a lot of videos on youtube that give step by step instruction if needed.

Webcam adapter - Step1

Webcam adapter - Step2

Webcam adapter - Step3

I bought something like this

It was quite easy to install on my old toucam (philips 750k) webcam as I only had to remove the lense and screw the nosepiece ... Some other webcam are a bit trickier to install as you have to open them... You can find a lot of videos on youtube that give step by step instruction if needed.

where would you get one of them nosepieces from?

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.  If imaging is going to be your thing in astronomy then I would certainly recommend that you obtain a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" which will provide you with all the technical know how on how to go about producing good consistent images. Very comprehensive whilst also being very easy to read.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Archived