NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aperture fever , the Emperor's new clothes ?

cotterless45

I am sure that if (when) I get a bigger scope I will still be using the trusty C8 a lot. It is as easy to set up as the APM 80mm F/6, but I do want something bigger (and transportable). However, since we have a Renault Espace, the phrase transportable can be used in a fairly wide sense :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of interesting opinions on here and many ring true for me.  I've "progressed" from a 6" to an 8" and finally to a 10" reflector (Truss-tube Dob) and found that you would quickly adapt what you observed based on what you discovered the scope was capable of.  The simple truth is you can get great enjoyment out of just about any decent scope or binoculars as long as you choose carefully what to observe.

No worries just bought the one on astro buy and sell :)

Ahhhhhhhhh.!!...#%^***

I dithered too long. Never ever decide to sleep on it.

Looks like you may have got a bargain there. And, pretty local too.

Don't forget the first light report. Exciting stuff.

Paul

Missed this thread kicking off. It seems to cover two differing points:

1. Scopes that are a pain to use
  2. The impact of seeing and light pollution

My 8.5" F12 refractor is simply too big and heavy for pulling out in parts and assembling before the sun rises (let along the clouds roll in). It does give cracking views once it's up ad running. Better than my old LX10 8-incher. My 20-inch truss tube takes ages to set up and is very stressful when attaching the top end of the assembly. The views from my suburban site are simply amazing. Finding things is, however, a right pain.

For me I loved my Nexstar 11. The GPS goto, tracking, aperature, compact size all added up to a great experience. I'm guessing the 8" and 9.25" models would be good too. Big binos come a close second and my 150F5 refractor third

I like the analogy with cars (back on page 1). Being a car nut, I've bought faster and more powerful cars as I've got older. The jump from a 200hp car to a 400hp didn't add much, so I had turbos fitted. 600hp was a bit more fun. Great expense later I found that 1200hp was simply undrivable on the public highway. I recently drove my daughter's Fiat 500 and had loved it. I think aperature is a bit like that: While you can have fun with most size scopes, but too big is just that.

As for seeing and light pollution, the skies over Watford really don't know the meaning of the word dark, let alone stable.

You do start them Nick! 

As a relative newbie I did the right thing picking an easy scope to use to start off with (Lyra 4" frac) and then bought a 8" reflector later which is now obsy based.

In real terms though I can see more objects in a session with the frac & less with the newt as it is more difficult to get on target.

Put it this way if I had to sell one of them the newt would go first.  The refractor is more fun & anything that puts a smile on your face is always better.

If I read this topic back in January 2012 then as a proper newbie I would have been rather confused.

If any new astronomers are reading this then seek out your local astronomy group, then some of this topic may make sense after you have asked a few questions!

What's the topic for discussion next week Nick?

Arne. I too have a 8.5" F12 refractor, what was the origin of the objective?, mine came from the Singapore area.   :smiley:

Good question! I bought it off a chap up in the NW some years ago. It came in a turned aluminium cell with no identifying marks on it. The lens is coated and the glass bubble free. He had made a couple of tubes for it from spiral wound steel tube (one a folded design).

It's now mounted in an APM tube assembly that's had a bit of character added to it by Richard Day.

And yes, if you twist my arm you can buy it to build the largest lens based binocular telescope in the UK ;)

Archived