Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First photo in astrophotography

WireD64

Continued from previous.

Im using a Skywatcher 200p on EQ5 Mount, with a Canon 100d.

So heres my first ever photo which I am pretty chuffed with even though it may actually be terrible.

Camera settings were 30 second exposure at ISO1600 with Noise reduction turned on.

Hopefully the experts can look at this and aside from not doing a polar alignment (i just pointed the mount north and set altitude from google) can you point out any improvements i can make to either camera settings and scope or focus adjustments. 

Just looking for all the help I can get to start taking some really nice pictures.

Regards

Rich

post-39534-0-50560100-1416148118_thumb.j

A good start, Rich.

Just looking for all the help I can get to start taking some really nice pictures.

1. It is so well worthwhile getting polar alignment nailed as a precursor to achieving the best possible tracking from your mount. This will allow you to take longer exposures to collect more 'signal'

2. Reduce your ISO setting to 800 to remove some of the unwanted 'noise'

3. Turn off the built in noise reduction and take your own sets of Dark frames to calibrate your image and remove the inherent thermal 'noise'

4. Take lots of images and stack them using the free stacking software Deep Sky Stacker (DSS)

5. Capture your images in RAW mode not as JPEGS - JPEGS introduce unwanted artefacts from the compression algorithm

Well done on your first capture, you should be delighted with that one!

A good start, Rich.

1. It is so well worthwhile getting polar alignment nailed as a precursor to achieving the best possible tracking from your mount. This will allow you to take longer exposures to collect more 'signal'

2. Reduce your ISO setting to 800 to remove some of the unwanted 'noise'

3. Turn off the built in noise reduction and take your own sets of Dark frames to calibrate your image and remove the inherent thermal 'noise'

4. Take lots of images and stack them using the free stacking software Deep Sky Stacker (DSS)

5. Capture your images in RAW mode not as JPEGS - JPEGS introduce unwanted artefacts from the compression algorithm

Well done on your first capture, you should be delighted with that one!

Good photograph considering your first attempt. My first attempt was yesterday night at pleiedes too. But I was trying with my 10" SW Dobson with Canon DSLR fitted at prime focus. Took 120 light frames of 0.5 second each, 40 dark frames and 40 bias frames. Something went wrong while stacking in DSS. A window popped up saying that only 1 light image can be stacked out of 120 and that I should alter the threshold mark to detect more stars. I again tried by lowering the threshold from 10% to 2%. Again the same window popped up stating that only 1 frame can be stacked. Any anybody explain me the reason why it happened??

Thanks for the feedback Steve (and Steve), i thought i was being clever when turning noise reduction on, I shall be looking into dark frames now, and also put your book on my christmas list.

I just need to sort out a routine for polar alignment now, and get a good understanding of processing tools and procedures.

Rich, as a novice, I think that is a fantastic shot, really like it.

But.....I have to ask a dumb question....and its one that has crossed my mind when seeing a lot of similar shots (my only AP attempts so far have been Andromeda) is about the star spikes......do these come out in the photos, or are you using filters/post-processing to produce them?

If someone could let me know, once they stop laughing behind their hand I would be most grateful! :grin: ;-)

Although in this case, the spikes were produced 'naturally' by the spider vane of Rich's 200P Reflector, they can be added in post processing or by stretching fishing trace in a cross over the front of a refractor.

Here is Rich's original image with artificial 'software stars' added in a deliberately overdone manner to prove the point!

post-1029-0-32738500-1416175923.png

WireD64.......I'm no expert, I have read 'The Book' and I'm far from diving into astrophotography just yet with my setup, but I know thats a good image. I also note Steve was the first to comment, maybe he has some competition with a first image like that. You've a few years to catch up on this experience, but well done.

Wow, Thanks for all the encouraging comments, its made me feel really quite good about what i've achieved.

I was quite surprised when the image came out with the spikes on the brighter stars, I for one love them.

I did notice though when looking closer at the spikes that there is a blue circle around a couple of the brighter stars and it doesn't seem to be centred around the star,  what this could be? Maybe my collimation is off or a result of the fact I didn't polar align correctly?

Rich

Great start Rich with some nebulosity showing.

Marky,the spikes are produced by the spider vanes on reflector scopes...some people like them some do not...I do

Kenny

I was going to ask about this too Marky & Kenny. I quite like it myself WiredD64 in this shot, being an old 35mm camera person and remembering the days of star filters. Nothing wrong with the bling effect.

• 3 months later...

That's an amazing photo - if it's your first one, then you can be really proud of yourself. Also, you're using exactly the same setup as me - including the camera. High five! :)

Hi. These are indeed one of my first photos taken on 31 Jan 2015. Before taking these shots I had done tons of research on SGL regarding how to take photos. Also read some quotes from the book 'Every Photon Counts'. Believe me, its not at all difficult to shoot such photos using a dobson and process in Lightroom. I am no professonal. Maybe even less than an amateur. But whenever I look through my scope into that vast universe, I always seem to hear an unknown voice that says......'I am there, try to find me'......as if something is asking to to be noticed and deciphered. 

I am such a novice, that I have only recently placed an order for my first tracking mount...the EQ6. Currently reading and learning on the net, about setting up, polar alignment etc.

Wow, Thanks for all the encouraging comments, its made me feel really quite good about what i've achieved.

I was quite surprised when the image came out with the spikes on the brighter stars, I for one love them.

I did notice though when looking closer at the spikes that there is a blue circle around a couple of the brighter stars and it doesn't seem to be centred around the star,  what this could be? Maybe my collimation is off or a result of the fact I didn't polar align correctly?

Rich

The blue circle that you mention seeing around the stars is reflected light from the dust cloud the cluster is passing through and nothing to do with your collimation although it doesn't hurt to get into the habit of checking collimation. Any technique practiced gains experience and with time becomes second nature, (much like driving), great first attempt.

Archived