Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prof Cox we are alone

starnut

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's sad, I think it would be great for mankind if there were someone else in this vast space.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Science/article147593

There again, it means we have the entire galaxy to explore, without the risk of impinging on anyone else's territory. Now, if only we could find a way of getting around that speed of light limitation...

Yeah, what's the point of an infinite universe if we're the only ones in it? Do we never learn. From a geocentric to a heliocentric universe to a small star in a remote spiral arm in an ordinary galaxy and we still think we're all there is?

I doubt that there's a 'point' to anything. we are either alone or not and until we have evidence we have to assume one or the other. if we assume ourselves to be intelligent, then we have not managed to send messages throughout the entire Universe yet either so why assume other races/species would/could have done?

I liked the point he made that not only is the universe so vast, but that the time a civilisation survives is so relatively small. So being in the same place and time of another civilisation is extremely unlikely.

My take on his comments is that he is not saying "we are alone" in the universe,but "we are alone in being the only technologically advanced species in the universe". Cant argue with that really. He is doing a bit of fence sitting.

There is very little fence sitting going on.  He is saying that we are alone, not just in the galaxy, but in the universe.

When you consider that we are only beginning our journey of discover and understanding, that does seem a strange position for someone like him to be adopting?

Then again.... he's only human. :smiley:

Erm!!! I just think he's wrong. I heard somewhere there were were more stars in the universe than grains of sand on every beach in the world. Planetary systems seem to be common place. No way are we alone.

Even if there are millions of civilisations in the Universe, if we are unable to contact them, as seems likely, then we might as well consider ourselves "alone".    :sad:

That is another question entirely, and one that is a whole lot easier to understand and agree with.

Dont you just love it when eminent scientists pontificate outside of their field ?

and another thing ,

21cm hydrogen line, just about the most horrendously noisy place to put out a "we are here" signal.

Ok if you do want to keep yourself buried unheard in all the noise, but you can say "well we did our bit" !

I wonder if this will be his last BBC sponsored outing as a result?

Would be a shame, like him or not, he's sparked debate and almost certainly brought more people into astronomy and cosmology that may not have considered getting interested otherwise.

I'm normally a fan of him,

but this series was just so questionable in so many ways,

was he just fed a duff script ? Or did he just not take the time to vet it !

Apart from the 21cm thing ( that was just so 100% Frank Drake era )

the latest thinking on the Easter Is. is that they did not war themselves to extinction after causing an ecological disaster, that they were doing very well with stone-mulch ag. (It was probably ebola or something !)

Was there not a BBC prog on rubbishing this recently ?

Nice jollies if you can get them, he could have gone even further, Australia, to do the stromatolite bit, that is where they are usually done from !

If Mr. Cox wants to think we're all alone - let him. But I will continue to crunch numbers for the Seti project at Berkeley. If you'd like to get involved, here's a link to Seti:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/index.php

In fact, my computer is crunching their data from Arecibo as I type this.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived