Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My last 4 months of changed AP

rofus

I just wanted to share with all of you the happiness of the last 4 months when I decided to upgrade my AP equipment to finally get rid of all the problems and limits I got during the years.

I kept my EQ5 Pro Synscan, updated all its firmwares, upgraded the scope from Startravel 102 to Startravel 150 (with 2" Baader SemiApo always in), added a Starshoot Autuoguider with PHD, integrated in my workflow EQMod, Astrotortilla (no more 3 star alignments), two dew stripes and a controller to get rid of dew on guidecam and scope, integrated my Nikon D90 with a usb shutter cable (made by a guy in US), and so I'm able now to use DigicamControl to automatically plan imaging sessions including automatic PHD dithering.

I also finally integrated on the mount a usb hub and all power adapters, so my setup time is less than 10 minutes: bring mount in backgarden in its usual signed position, quickly double check alignment in polarscope, put scope with all already connected (always) on the mount, check balance, connect all cables, switch it on, bring inside power lead and a usb3 cable, boot Parallels on my Macbook, connect the usb cable, launch EQMod/CartDuCiel/PHD/Astrotortilla/DigicamControl, first slew and one AT and ready to go.

I got several nights of imaging, up to 6 consecutive hours (my Nikon has the battery pack/grip) each night, never a problem, perfect guiding (attach one just from tonight), and I want to share it here as usual because I got a lot of help from here and always suggestions from other posts...what a fantastic hobby :)

post-25285-0-80290800-1414276045_thumb.p

Isn't it great when it just all works reliably from night to night - Well done   :) To achieve that in AP is a feat in itself :)

Indeed that's the feeling! In particular when you decide to go against the rules in a stubborn but methodical way, load 10kg on your EQ5 (but well balanced), do polar alignment only through polarscope (but well aligned and precisely done), and be able to do regularly 10+ minutes subs with ultra precise guide, all with 10 minutes setup and a relatively inexpensive setup (but modern well configured/maintained software/firmware system) :)

And forums like this are such a precious resource to quickly find answers, and to ask the few times you get the odd problem you can't go around on your own!

Wow, what a guide graph, superb

that has to be the best I have seen, the DEC looks completely flat, well done

Olly

Indeed I noticed that a correct -not obsessive though- balance (with just a polarscope alignment) can greatly improve tracking and guiding. I'd not load 20kg on my EQ5 but with 10kg (plus 10kg cw) it never felt so smooth and sturdy and immune to medium winds (750mm focal length so it's easier).

Attached is the graph from the session I'm doing just now, following the one from two nights ago (ngc7000 wall), back to the exact same position thanks to Astrotortilla doing its magic (taking last image from last night and bringing my scope in the exact same position all in one move!).

That's a flat guiding ending of an 8 minutes sub, Digicamcontrol sending to PHD the dithering move, PHD moving and then readjusting guide, and after 120 seconds another image starting, and it goes this way every time...basically all with free software (but good donations). Can't believe how lucky we are to have such powerful instruments...only 5 or 8 years ago for me this stuff was science fiction or way too expensive to even think about it :)

post-25285-0-24652500-1414446832_thumb.p

Archived